Advanced Searches within files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I know there have been other topics on this, but they did not answer my question.  Here is a very specific question.  I have a folder that contains hundreds of excel files full of syslog messages.  I need to be able to search (quickly) through all those files to find a specific IP address (1.1.1.1) or event that would be contained in the syslog string logged to excel.  I use to be able to do this with Windows XP, but can't get Windows 7 to find this data.  I tried Superfinder XT - but that won't help in this instance (and by the way, I can't stand software that comes bloated with other trial software - sorry).  I tried changing folder options/ "Always search file names and contents" but that failed as well.  Any suggestions?

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest you make the following changes and see if it works.

1. Open Indexing Options by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type indexing options, and then click Indexing Options.
    2. Click Advanced.If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    3. In the Advanced Options dialog box, click the File Types tab.
    4. In the Add new extension to list box, type the file name extension (for example, "txt"), and then click Add.
    5. Click Index Properties and File Contents, and then click OK.

If the index still cannot find the files which in an indexed location, try rebuilding the index. Rebuilding the index can take several hours, and searches might be incomplete until the index is fully rebuilt.
    1. Open Indexing Options by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type indexing options, and then click Indexing Options.
    2. Click Advanced.
    3. In the Advanced Options dialog box, click the Index Settings tab, and then click Rebuild.   If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by tracycai Tuesday, May 28, 2013 8:02 AM
    Friday, May 24, 2013 8:32 AM