Help Vista not waking up, RRS feed

• Question

•  

have an intel mobo d975xbx2 with a quad core CPU, just installed vista ultimate 32, new machine

last two mornings, the pc does not appear to do anything when i click the mouse or hit the keyboard,

have to hard reboot,

ran the win update yesterday for Customer Experience which i had enable earlier yesterday when prompted, should have rebooted after the update but did not, so not sure if that update was susccessfully installed or not

looked in event log and there are errors, some like windows servicing failed to complete the process of setting package KB939165 (Update) int stating state and a few others like that,

also after digging a little i c that nVidia has similar problems and i have a XFX GT8800 vid card in the pci express slot,

so changes i made were as follows:

In Power options my settings are a Balance plan with display off in 20 minutes and i just changed the Put Computer to Sleep to never in order to test if this is where the problem, ie have to wait and c if it is definetley part of this setting causing the problem

also under Advanced Power Settings i made the following change

under PCI Express, under Link State Power Management i changed the Setting to Off, hoping this will cure the problem as eventually i want to change the Put Computer to Sleep back to an hour or so, ie have a 555 Watt power supply and dont want the power drain,

In the bios under power i have

After Power Failure is Stay Off

ACPI Suspend State is S3 

Quick resume technolgoy is disabled,

Wak on Lan from S5 is enabled,

EIST is enabled

just clicked the Sleep button off the Start menu and waited for the monitor to show no signal, the hit the keyboard and Vista did come back to life, so not sure if the problem is fixed will wait to post again in the am tomorrow

so really just looking for feedback on this issue and other things i should consider,

will post back later today or

Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:59 PM

Answers

•  

Hi FrankBru,

Thank you for the post.

I understand that Windows Vista cannot be waked up from Sleep now.

The issue can be caused by many factors.

I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Step 1 Clean Boot

============

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment., if the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Step 2 Change the power plan to high performance

Step 3 Install Hotfix KB929734

============

The hot fix for your issue has been packaged and placed on an HTTP site for you to download.

WARNING: This fix is not publicly available through the Microsoft website as it has not gone through full Microsoft regression testing.  If you would like confirmation that this fix is designed to address your specific problem, or if you would like to confirm whether there are any special compatibility or installation issues associated with this fix, you are encouraged to speak to a Support Professional in Product Support Services.

The package is password protected so be sure to enter the appropriate password for each package.  To ensure the right password is provided cut and paste the password from this mail.

NOTE: Passwords expire every 7 days so download the package within that period to insure you can extract the files.  If you receive two passwords it means you are receiving the fix during a password change cycle.  Use the second password if you download after the indicated password change date.

Package:

-----------------------------------------------------------

KB Article Number(s): 929734

Language: All (Global)

Platform: i386

Location: (http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%20Vista/sp1/Fix194161/6000/free/296234_intl_i386_zip.exe)

Password: W89iloN6

Password Changes On: 01/30/2008

Next Password: uXMWG8F@

NOTE: Be sure to include all text between '(' and  ')' when navigating to this hot fix location!

For more information about the hotfix KB929734, please refer to the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929734/en-us

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, January 28, 2008 7:14 AM