none
I need help with dashboard filter RRS feed

• Question

• Hello people, I´m going to try to explain what I want to do. I have two reports (report A, report B) and a dashboard.

I would like to create a filter with values (A and B) in order to show the correct  report according with the selection in the filter.

I think I have explained it OK :P

Thanks very much in advance!!!
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 4:30 PM

Answers

• Hello danimg,

To create a dashboard that shows a report depending on which filter selection is made, you need to use the Display Condition option. On the Editor tab for the Dashboard in Dashboard Designer, hover over the filter that is on that dashboard. You will see a "Display Condition" item in the drop down list. Drag that over to one of your reports. The Display Condition editor will pop up. For the Conditional field choose the field with your filter selections. Then in the area below it will show you all the options that are available for that filter. Check the box for the item you want to link this filter selection to for this report. Repeat these steps for any other reports in the filter.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks,
    Jon Thomas
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by danimg Thursday, February 26, 2009 11:28 AM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:40 PM
  • Hello danimg,

You could use an Excel data source and just type in your different possible selections in one column and import those as an Excel 2007 Data Source. If you ever had to update the list, you would have to reimport it each time but if you didn't forsee updating it very often or at all then using Excel as the Data Source should work just fine.

Thanks,
    Jon Thomas
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I moved your thread from Planning to Monitoring for better response

Thank you,
    Sundar - MSFT
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Hello danimg,

To create a dashboard that shows a report depending on which filter selection is made, you need to use the Display Condition option. On the Editor tab for the Dashboard in Dashboard Designer, hover over the filter that is on that dashboard. You will see a "Display Condition" item in the drop down list. Drag that over to one of your reports. The Display Condition editor will pop up. For the Conditional field choose the field with your filter selections. Then in the area below it will show you all the options that are available for that filter. Check the box for the item you want to link this filter selection to for this report. Repeat these steps for any other reports in the filter.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks,
    Jon Thomas
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:40 PM
  • Hi Jon, first of all thank you very much for your time.

I think I understand what you say, I have another question. In order to create the filter (i.e. list), must I create a table in a datasource with the different possible selections?? or can I create a list selection more directly?

Thanks again!
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:48 PM
  • Hello danimg,

You could use an Excel data source and just type in your different possible selections in one column and import those as an Excel 2007 Data Source. If you ever had to update the list, you would have to reimport it each time but if you didn't forsee updating it very often or at all then using Excel as the Data Source should work just fine.

Thanks,
    Jon Thomas
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:20 PM
  • Thank you very much, that´s a perfect answer! It works!
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 11:28 AM