none
Windows 10 Applocker Bug in 1511?! RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10 enterprise 1511 from November.

If I activate applocker with dll files, audit only or enforce rules doesn’t matter, I got BSOD. Same result on domain computer or standalone.

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (appid.sys)

If I replace the appid.sys from the first release of windows 10 everything works.

Appid.sys 10.0.10240.1638 2015-07-10 Works

Appid.sys 10.0.10586.0 2015-10-30 Get BSOD! 

Monday, November 23, 2015 3:44 PM

All replies

• If possible try do the following steps, revert back to previous release and check if this problem persist.

Monday, November 23, 2015 6:12 PM
  • In version 10.0.10240 everything is working.

And even if i copy appid.sys from that version, it's working

Monday, November 23, 2015 7:11 PM
  • In version 10.0.10240 everything is working.

And even if i copy appid.sys from that version, it's working

Please feedback this issue on Windows Feedback.

Also, I will record this issue on our platform and then let's wait for the more stable released in the further.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:32 AM
    Owner
  • I'm seeing the same behaviour....

DaRT disk saved affected systems by allowing easy edit of registry to set the AppID service start-up to disabled.

See also

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/bsod-at-startup-only-0x3b-systemserviceexception/241f36d6-8df8-444e-9692-e2821a07bb8a

Thanks for the info about appid.sys being at fault.

Douks

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 8:04 PM
  • Please can someone from MS advise when this will be patched / fixed.

I am concerned that since KB release notes no longer include technical details that customers won't know when the issue is resolved short of testing against every update that is released.

AppLocker not working is preventing Windows 10 being deployed for customers who operate in highly secured environments.

Thanks

Douks

Thursday, November 26, 2015 8:29 AM
  • The best way is to file this in Feedback App.

Thursday, November 26, 2015 4:50 PM
  • Issue was posted in the feedback app yesterday. Please upvote.

Douks

Thursday, November 26, 2015 6:09 PM
  • Windows-Feedback:?contextid=336&feedbackid=44f2ada9-ae28-42b8-a574-c27ec3b8d848&form=1&src=2
    Friday, November 27, 2015 8:38 AM
  • Another few weeks has passed and nothing from MS yet. Is there any update PLEASE?

Douks

Monday, December 14, 2015 1:51 PM
  • Strange that no one from MS can comment on this bug, or just say anything...

It seems to be a new version of appid.sys in the latest windows 10 insider preview build 11082, but I haven’t had time to test it yet.

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 11:31 AM
  • Did someone even test the 1511 build before release?

-BSOD on all machines due to this AppLocker Bug
    -ADK 1511 is broken (images won't boot)
    -Intel ANS doesn't work on build 1511 (no VLAN and teaming Support)

Looks like Enterprise ready now means "this works for watching Star Trek".

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 8:28 AM
  • Seems to be fixed in 10586.122
    • Proposed as answer by Douks Wednesday, March 9, 2016 7:41 AM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 7:37 AM
  • I've tested and it is fixed in KB3140743...

March 1, 2016 — KB3140743 (OS Build 10586.122)

This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features or security fixes are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:            

• Improved reliability in numerous areas, including OS and Windows Update installation, startup, installing and configuring Windows for the first time, authentication, resuming from hibernation, shutdown, kernel, Start menu, storage, Windows Hello, display modes, Miracast, AppLocker, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge browser, network connectivity and discovery, and File Explorer.

• Improved performance in video thumbnail generation, NetLogon, Windows Store, and standby power consumption.

• Improved support for devices including some wearables, displays, and printer scenarios.

• Reset app default when a registry setting is deleted or corrupted and streamlined notification about the corruption.

• Fixed an issue causing favorites to be lost after updates are installed.

• Fixed several issues that individually could cause certain apps to fail to launch, update, or allow in-app purchases.

• Improved quality of Cortana voices and translations of multiple languages of an Internet Explorer dialog box.

• Improved support for apps, fonts, graphics and display, airplane mode, Group Policy, PowerShell MDM, Windows Journal, Microsoft Edge, printing, touch display, roaming credentials, Push-Button Reset, Windows UX, local and streaming video, audio quality, error reporting, USMT, and VHD creation.

For a complete list of affected files, see KB3140743.

Douks

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 8:58 AM