One addressbook for all users and possibility to use it with mail merge. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have an SBS2008 server with Exchange 2007. For the moment we use an access database for our adresses. We also use this access database with mail merge.

What we actually want to do is to create one adresbook on the Exchange server that is accessible for all our users (just 5, we are a small company). Also these users must be able to use this addressbook in coorporation with mailmerge.

I created a new adresbook in Outlook under public folders. I managed to import the data from the access database into this new adresbook. I managed to make this adressbook the default addressbook for all users. But when I make a mailmerge word file I can not choose this addressbook. The only one that appears in the list is "Contact", which is empty because I want all users to use the same addressbook.

I can copy the newly created addressbook from public folders to contacts. When I do this the new addressbook is visible in mail merge, but users can no longer select it as theit default address book, which they could do when it was under public folders.

Anybody have suggestions on the best way to do this?

Erik

Thursday, November 1, 2012 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Erik,

Mailmerge is a feature in Outlook, so it might be better if you post your question in the Outlook Forum.

Just wondering...What if configure the Public Calendar Folder to show as an Outlook Address Book (properties on the folder | Outlook Address Book Tab). Does that work?

Martina Miskovic

Friday, November 2, 2012 5:45 AM
  • Hi Erik,

So you craeted a shared address book in Public Folder and you could not merge it via Mail merge, right?

If this is the case, we will help you move this thread to Outlook forum. your understanding would be appreciated.

Fiona Liao

TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 2, 2012 7:32 AM
  • OK,

Thank you for your answers. The problem is that my Office software is in Dutch, so I can't address the English names for you. I'll try to rephrase my question.

From Word I try to access an Outlook addressbook to insert addresses in a Word document as show below in the picture. But the list only shows me Contacts and not the addressbook that I created under public-folders. When I move the addressbook under public folders to Contacts it shows up in the list in the picture below. But when it is copied to contacts it is no longer a public adresbook. What I want is one central adresbook for all my users (5) and that these users can use this adresbook in Word to use addresses from this addresbook in word using the "Verzendlijsten" function in the picture below.

Wanted to insert picture but I get the error "Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account.". I even can't insert a link, so here's the link in text:

http://www.dumpyourphoto.com/photo/view/149466/0CRcaE

If this is still an Outlook issue, can I move this thread to the Outlook forum myself?

Edit 11/11/2012:

In fact I want to use the newly created shared contact folders (under Public Folders") as a data source for a mail merge in Word following the instructions mentioned in this article:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/use-outlook-contacts-as-a-data-source-for-a-mail-merge-HP010356316.aspx

Problem however is that I don't see the my public contacts folder in the list when I click "Select from Outlook Contacts". I created the public contacts folder using the instructions mentioned in this article:

http://plexhosted.com/billing/knowledgebase/124/How-to-use-a-public-contacts-folder-as-an-address-book-.html

Sorry for the confusion as English is not my native language.

Many thanks,

Erik

Saturday, November 10, 2012 2:41 PM
  • Hi Erik,

So you craeted a shared address book in Public Folder and you could not merge it via Mail merge, right?

If this is the case, we will help you move this thread to Outlook forum. your understanding would be appreciated.

Hi Fiona,

Yes, thats what I want. See also my edit in my last post. Is it possible that one of helps me to move this thread to the Outlook forum?

Many thanks,

Erik

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:26 AM