Exchange 2010 Information Store RRS feed

• Question

• All,

I have been a Lotus Notes admin for over a decade and was recently forced to switch to exchange 2010...{sniffle sniffle}

LOL

ANYWAY....I am trying to fix an issue with DPM 2010 not being able to backup a database, because apparently the 'BackupInProgress' flag is set to true. I found this from the following article:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmexchbackup/thread/2cfa9ef1-9235-42f1-b595-a4bafaef1f89

A potential workaround is to restart the Exchange Information Store service, however my question is, if I restart this service does that stop users from accessing their mail? Or will restarting this service cause any other interruption that would require me to do this via a scheduled outage?

Any help to a new Exchange admin is greatly appreciated!

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 10:57 PM

Answers

• Restarting the IS will cause the mailbox databases to dismount and users will lose access to email.  If you have a DAG you have the option to switchover the databases to a different server and then you can restart the IS on the original server.

Alexei

• Proposed as answer by wendy_liu Monday, June 18, 2012 7:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by wendy_liu Sunday, June 24, 2012 1:49 PM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:04 PM

All replies

• Restarting the IS will cause the mailbox databases to dismount and users will lose access to email.  If you have a DAG you have the option to switchover the databases to a different server and then you can restart the IS on the original server.

Alexei

• Proposed as answer by wendy_liu Monday, June 18, 2012 7:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by wendy_liu Sunday, June 24, 2012 1:49 PM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:04 PM
  • Hi

As Alexei stated restarting the IS will cause users to lose access to email, you should plan this and communicate to your users of a scheduled restart.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:21 AM