none
Windows 10 Start Layout Broken Tiles

Question

• I am trying to set up Windows 10 for domain logins on our network.

If a user logs in for the first time on a machine and clicks the start menu immediately, the icons and tiles on the start menu appear, but many are blank.  The text descriptions appear, but the icon/graphic does not.  If you restart the ShellExperienceHost.exe process, the problem is corrected.  Likewise, if the user waits a few seconds before clicking the start menu after login, the problem is avoided.  This isn't a big problem as it only occurs during first login, when the start menu is being generated  and the icon cache is populated.  From that point on, everything is cached and the problem doesn't occur.

A bigger problem occurs when you use "Start Layout" in group policy.  In that case, if the user clicks the start menu before it is completely built, any tile that uses icons that are not ready yet do not display.  If it doesn't work the first time, it doesn't work at all.  If you update the timestamp of the xml file, and perform a gpupdate (and give the start menu enough time to build itself) it will force a refresh and the tiles are properly displayed.

This has to be bug.  I've repeated this on different machines, with different builds, 32 bit, 64 bit, on version 1607 with all updates.  So, I don't know what to do, other than telling my users not to click the start menu immediately, and I'm not going to to do that.  Thoughts?
    Monday, March 27, 2017 5:20 AM

All replies

• The closet thing on the internet that I can find to this problem are these threads recommending a restart of shellexperiencehost.exe

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/start-menu-tiles-are-missing-their-icons/5b7bdfe3-1edd-411b-ac01-96edb130233d

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/icons-pinned-to-task-bar-are-not-displayed/8f308e41-6edf-45d7-8346-05b895ec517e

The first one says that this is a "known problem." That was in October 2015.  Restarting the shellexperience host fixes the problem, unless there is a GPO defined start layout.  To fix that, the time stamp of the xml file must be updated before it will reapply the settings and correct the problem.

The operation of the start menu depends on the TileDataLayer database and the legacy %AllUsersProfile% start menu and is controlled by ShellExperienceHost, which itself is a mandatory "Modern App."  This is all very convoluted and nonsensical, and just replicating the problem consistently is difficult, to say nothing of actually fixing it.

Ideas?

Monday, March 27, 2017 9:16 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, as you understand about timestamp, each time the user signs in, the timestamp of the .xml file with the Start layout is checked and if a newer version of the file is available, the settings in the latest version of the file are applied.

As the workaround, we can configure wait for Network policy and use Logon script to force GPupdate to check the results.

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon

Then, write gpupdate /force into bat file and configure into Logon script: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770908.aspx

In addition, I will feedback this issue in our platform.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 2:12 AM
  • The problem occurs when the start menu is being built at first login.  I could change the timestamp of the xml file, and that would fix subsequent logins but not the first.  Or I could kill explorer and shellexperiencehost in a startup script but might that cause unexpected results since this would be before they start, or while they are starting?

This is an older machine so it's not very fast.  This might be exposing the bug.  A faster machine might build the start menu faster than the user has time to click on it.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 3:57 AM
  • Also, where in the registry is the timestamp of the XML file recorded?  It might be easier to change that than to change the file.
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 3:59 AM
  • bump
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 8:06 PM
  • Also, where in the registry is the timestamp of the XML file recorded?  It might be easier to change that than to change the file.
    Nope, change the file could be the easiest way to change the timestamp. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:54 AM