none
Implications of Overwriting a Project with a copy saved offline RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We are currently using Project Server 2007, timesheets, along with tied mode.  Yesterday we experienced a corrupted schedule.  The PM experienced several issues after installing Visio Professional but anywho.  A lot of changes have been made to the schedule and the PM was able to save offline.   We noticed that our copy in the restore database is older than the copy saved offline so we want to use what was saved offline obviously.  So I have three questions:  1) Would I import that schedule onto the server? 2) Would that cause issues with the previously entered timesheets and cause synch issues 3) Is there a simplier method?

Thanks, SH

Friday, May 13, 2011 12:08 PM

Answers

• Sena:

"Save offline" is a feature in Project Server, however I think you may be referring to a project saved as a standard mpp file. If the latter is the case, if you import the mpp file to the server, it creates a new UID for the project. The timesheet records associated with the original project wiill become orphaned, however, it will not affect the actula work record in the project plan.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can work on project schedule offline and synchronize the changes back to the server without overwriting the server copy of the project schedule. I have blogged the steps to be followed to avoid any issues while working offline, you can go through those: Project Server - Working offline with the Project

So answer to your questions are:

1. Would I import that schedule onto the server? YES

2) Would that cause issues with the previously entered timesheets and cause synch issues? NO ISSUES IF YOU FOLLOW THE STEPS

3) Is there a simplier method? THIS IS THE ONLY METHOD, AND I BELIEVE ITS QUITE SIMPLE :)

Hope this helps.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Saturday, May 14, 2011 7:30 AM
  • Sena:

"Save offline" is a feature in Project Server, however I think you may be referring to a project saved as a standard mpp file. If the latter is the case, if you import the mpp file to the server, it creates a new UID for the project. The timesheet records associated with the original project wiill become orphaned, however, it will not affect the actula work record in the project plan.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:13 PM