Keeping an application in cache when the advertisment is removed RRS feed

• Question

• We are using SCCM to deliver App-V applications to machines via collections and advertisements. At this time we are using the download and execute senario and we are not streaming from DP's. All the streaming is through local downloaded cache. There are times when, due to licensing restrictions, we need to remove the application from one machine (or disable the user from being able to use it) to make it available to another machine. The kicker is that the machine the app was removed from will need to have access to it in the future. I can see how to keep the package on the machine once the machine is out of the collection or the advertisement expires but the user will still be able to use the app. My main concern is that I dont want to download the same application again to the same machine due to consuming large amount of network bandwith.

Question: How can I keep the application in cache but disable the user from accessing/using the application so I can again make available from local cache via collection/advertisement policy in the future?

Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:10 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Usually applications aren't cleared out of the SCCM-cache right away - so how fast are we talking about enabling / disabling access?

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 1:03 PM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:25 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Usually applications aren't cleared out of the SCCM-cache right away - so how fast are we talking about enabling / disabling access?

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 1:03 PM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:25 AM
  • Znack,

Maybe every week or so. (its a unique group). 

First, I tested out downloading an app via SCCM advertisement and disabled the policy for removing the package once no longer advertised. When I re-advertised I could see in the execmngr.log the files were downloading once again from the "STATE_ADVANCED_DOWNLOAD content in progress" entry.

Then I tested advertising once again to the machine and once successful, went into the Application Virtualization Client and manually deleted the files under Applications. That cleared the app from a user trying to use it and the source files are still in the SCCM cache. I am trying to re-advertise the package to the test machine at this time. ( now I am having issues with my client (version 4.6.0.1523) keeps failing to start with a .dll error so I have not been able to complete the test).

So how long will a package stay in cache once the machine recieves the change in the advertisement or removal from a collection?  I cant tell what is in the App V cache but assume that is gone once the machine gets removed from an advertisement.

Thanks for the help.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:22 PM
  • Hello,

I have never tried with virtual packages, but other stuff can stay there for a while last time I checked...

/Znack
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 6:58 AM
  • Hi,

isn't there a switch for virtual apps to keep them in the cache even there is no advertisement valid currently?
    I would need to go to my test environment to verify but this I have in my mind from some trials months ago...

Greetings,
    Samoth

Monday, July 5, 2010 2:00 PM