"Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed", and other random BSODs... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, infinity here, hoping to find some help figuring out what's wrong with my month-old laptop...

Well, to start off, my laptop is a Lenovo Y560 which I purchased new from Tiger Direct (via Amazon.com).  Here's a Newegg page of the same laptop: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146777&cm_re=lenovo_y560-_-34-146-777-_-Product

The problems didn't start right away, but I may not have known it was there, at the time, since I probably wasn't using it as much and was still in the process of setting it up and transferring files from my old computer. One problem I did fix was, I think, initially my fault, and seemed to lessen the magnitude of the other problems, at first...but I'm not so sure, now.

There are two general problems, one I'm sure of, the other not-so-sure. What I mean is, the former is something to do with graphics, whether it's the card (an ATI HD 5730), itself, or one (or several) drivers that work with it...the others are random, and seemed to be caused for no apparent reason (I'm usually just browsing the web in firefox, for example (though I'm sure it's not the cause, firefox is the only link between the "random" blue screens I've had, it seems...)).

So, I'll start with the problem I know a little more about , and I'll try to keep things short (I tend to ramble...sorry).  I've been through quite a few forum threads searching for similar problems and solutions, but most I've found tend to be close to, yet not exactly, what I'm looking for.  This problem is the portion of my subject line stating "Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed", and is exactly that: something goes wrong with whatever is handling my graphics, and it tries, but fails, to reset itself.

When the error occurs, one of two things happen: either the screen goes black for a second, everything reloads, and I have a balloon pop-up (and system event logged in my ATI Catalyst Control Center (CCC)) stating that "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."; or, as hard as it tries to reload everything (it starts up black, pieces of windows show up, back to black again, other pieces show, back to black again, etc...), it just can't. When the former happens, doing anything in explorer is very "laggy", and the only way to fix this is to put it in sleep or restart it. When the latter happens, it seems to continue attempting to reset for a few minutes (by which point I usually stop it, either by pushing the power button to put it to sleep (which takes a minute or two), or forcing it to shut down by holding the power button). I decided to let it run a little longer the last time it happened, and it resulted in a blue screen (for the first time), stating the quote in my title.  This time, the process of going from black to pieces-of-windows to black again was much quicker (usually it does so very slowly, as if it's hung-up on something), so that may be why it reached timeout sooner...

Before I go on, I forgot to mention what seems to cause this...in most cases, in the threads I've read, this problem seems to occur either when people try to play games or do graphics-intensive work, or aren't doing anything close to graphically-intensive at all (normal minimal computer usage, editing documents, web-browsing, etc.). While I do play some pretty graphics-intensive games, I have never had problems doing so; my problem falls in-between. The problem occurs most often when I attempt to play videos, no matter the format.  Specifically, videos on my computer (not flash or youtube videos viewed in my browser...or, at least, not yet, which is saying a lot).

In most cases, now, the error only occurs when the video begins to play; initially, it would occur every now and then in the middle of playback, but, if it starts, it tends to run through fine.  If this matters, it's not when the video is full screen, and most I view are only a relatively small portion of the screen (saved youtube videos, etc.). The programs I use vary as much as the format, as well: from Irfanview, to Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (the 32 bit version -- x64 wouldn't work for some reason), and Windows Media Player. I would say that I've noticed the crash occur most often while viewing SWF and FLV files with Irfanview or Media Player Classic, both about as often, but they're what I've played most often, so that assumption would be biased.  Before I go on, I guess it'd be worth considering that it could be a codec-related problem, specifically, if that could cause a blue screen. The only thing related to this that I can think of, is that I have the CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack) installed (I would think, but am unsure, if it's supported in Windows 7..? I've never had problems with it in XP, which was what my old computer used (good ol' XP..)). It's also worth mentioning, I guess, that this error occurred once even when I was changing some options in my ATI CCC, as well: when the "3d options" tab is selected, it brings up a before and after 3d video showing the effect of changed options graphically, and the crash occurred when it tried to load this.

Um...if you've made it this far, I'd like to apologize, again, for the wall of text...I'm just trying to describe everything in detail as best I can...

So, when I want to view a video, now, I cross my fingers, click, and hope it starts without crash. It doesn't happen absolutely every time, else I'd REALLY be working on this, but, it's more of a 50-50 chance. And, if it starts to crash, I can try to put it to sleep real quick in order to keep it from doing so completely and not lose any unsaved information (if it matters, when I log back in, all but the video I tried to open is still open and running).

And that's all I can think of to add on that issue...

It's worth noting that I've already been through customer support and tried a few basic things to fix this (OneKey Recovery to factory defaults, which didn't seem to fix things), and even before this I knew to update drivers and such, so that isn't the issue (or actually IS the reason, if it's a crappy-driver issue...).

Given this, it's very possible that this is a hardware problem...though a choosy one (videos, not games..?).

Checking into my options as far as what I can do if the problem can't be solved, the support guy I talked to told me it's too late to just send it back. Instead, he suggested trying to send it somewhere for repair. As I've read a few stories of bad things that have happened to people's computers when they send it in to these kind of places, you could probably understand my hesitation in going through with that...

And finally, a semi-related graphics problem not specific to the BSODs that I thought I should include, and is fairly minor in comparison...is that my mouse cursor decides randomly (truly random -- I cannot reproduce it forcefully, it just...happens) that it wants to be drawn 10 times bigger than normal... When it happens, it stays that way until I put it to sleep or restart, though, sometimes, it seems to fix itself (very rarely, I have no idea how). When mentioned to the support-guy, it was put off as a minor issue caused by windows 7, the graphics card/driver, or both, and it was put aside to deal with the bigger crashing-problem.

This post is already so very long, and I'm sorry -- it must be annoying to read through... very quickly, I'll just mention that the "other" BSODs I was referring to earlier, and in my forum title, is just as it states: there have been a few BSODs that seemed to happen for no apparent reason...the only connection is that I happened to have a Firefox tab open at the time...though I highly doubt that this was a cause. I'd rather not go on about it, since it's been quite a while since the last time it happened, and it's not reproducible...

Below, I've provided a link to two of my dump files as well as BlueScreenViewer output of both, in the link and pasted below. The first is not related to the graphics issue I mentioned -- it was a random BSOD I had the other day, at some point, that I thought I'd include anyway, in case someone could tell me when it was talking about (I forgot what I was doing when it happened, unfortunately); I haven't looked into this one, specifically. The second is the blue screen I had today when I let the computer try to work itself out.  As it's the first time I've had this screen, I'm not really sure if it points to the same problems as every other time this happens.  It may not even point to the right problem, unfortunately...if you noticed, earlier, I stated that the computer says the driver amdkmdap stopped working, whereas below it points its finger at dxgkrnl.sys .  Could dxgkrnl be failing because amdkmdap is failing...? (also, when I viewed the dump files with BlueScreenViewer, a few things in the bottom panel were highlighted red, but it only said something about dxgkrnl.sys...same for the other BSOD)

Any help would be immensely appreciated, and I would like to thank all who take the time to do so!

mini dumps + BlueScreenViewer output of those files:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RN4EHXIE

BlueScreenViewer output (in case you don't know what BlueScreenViewer is, I linked it to its site):
    ==================================================
    Dump File         : 092010-28750-01.dmp
    Crash Time        : 9/20/2010 6:11:06 AM
    Bug Check String  : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    Bug Check Code    : 0x0000003b
    Parameter 1       : 00000000`c0000094
    Parameter 2       : fffff880`04a5f479
    Parameter 3       : fffff880`0b40b3d0
    Parameter 4       : 00000000`00000000
    Caused By Driver  : atipmdag.sys
    Caused By Address : atipmdag.sys+1ce479
    File Description  :
    Product Name      :
    Company           :
    File Version      :
    Processor         : x64
    Computer Name     :
    Full Path         : C:\windows\Minidump\092010-28750-01.dmp
    Processors Count  : 8
    Major Version     : 15
    Minor Version     : 7600

Dump File         : 092110-31761-01.dmp
    Crash Time        : 9/21/2010 3:01:36 PM
    Bug Check String  :
    Bug Check Code    : 0x00000116
    Parameter 1       : fffffa80`06e414e0
    Parameter 2       : fffff880`0402c024
    Parameter 3       : 00000000`00000000
    Parameter 4       : 00000000`0000000d
    Caused By Driver  : dxgkrnl.sys
    Caused By Address : dxgkrnl.sys+5cef8
    File Description  :
    Product Name      :
    Company           :
    File Version      :
    Processor         : x64
    Computer Name     :
    Full Path         : C:\windows\Minidump\092110-31761-01.dmp
    Processors Count  : 8
    Major Version     : 15
    Minor Version     : 7600

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:48 AM

All replies

• You need to update your drivers. All available drivers can be download from:

Lenovo Ideapad Support & downloads - Drivers & Downloads 

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

If the issue still occurs, troubleshoot in Clean Boot Mode.

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, October 5, 2010 2:55 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by kcinfinity Friday, October 22, 2010 6:13 AM
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:42 AM
  • I'm not sure if I managed to forget to mention it, but I already updated drivers from the Lenovo site.. :/ I'm pretty sure..

And that was after the OneKey recovery the Lenovo people told me to do.

Will read/do the latter part..but I'm starting to think that this is just something I'm going to have to deal with, until win 7 and ati's driver, etc., for example, learn to cooperate and play nice.

Can't rule out the possibility of a hardware problem(s), though.

Obviously my original post is too long. Basically, things function normally, and I can play very-intensive stuff without a problem. It's most often when I start to play a video on my computer, more often in MPC:HC and Irfanview (biased, as those have been the most tested), that my display driver "stops responding" sometimes.

Just...wanted to clarify.

Won't be able to check things out till this weekend..

Friday, September 24, 2010 5:58 AM
  • Hi,

Have you resolved the issue?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, September 27, 2010 8:04 AM
  • I need to work on writing much, much shorter messages...I'm sorry. Check out the "too long;didn't read" I stuck at the bottom for the brief version...

Hello, I apologize for not having checked back in on this thread in a while...in short, my problem has not been solved; it has only become less of an annoyance, occurring less often, for no apparent reason, somewhere within a week of my last post.  I don't think I did anything to affect it that way, and there were no updates.

My drivers are the latest... One day, an IT guy I met in a game I mentioned this to suggested trying something with the programs ATITool and Mobility Modder, in which I'd extract my driver from the catalyst package from ATI's site, and modify it (to do what exactly; fix it, make it better..? I don't know, but it was worth a try). I couldn't do it because 64-bit forces signed drivers, and, I think, my graphics card isn't even supported by the latter program, so...tough luck.

A few games I've tried have mentioned something about either my graphics card or its driver(s) before, on first start-up. Not really quoting something word-for-word, it's usually something to the effect of "We don't recognize your card/driver/whatever, <mentions that it's going to set some settings a certain way>", "Your driver may not be up to date (it is, there's some sort of conspiracy, here..*shifty eyes at ATI and Lenovo*), etc.", and so on. Related? Maybe, thought it'd be worth mentioning..

I really wish I'd tried doing a selective startup when it was a real nuisance, because now it'll take quite a lot longer for it to happen, if ever...
    Rebooting my computer, I notice, already, that it feels a lot faster...as to be expected, heh. The program I use to view images is just Windows Photo Manager, by the way.  I first tried loading it then scrolling through all of the pictures with the left and right keys at fast and slow speeds, then (much less time spent on this, since I'm sure my finger would really start to hurt after a bit..) closing the program and double clicking each picture to load both it and the program each time (more like how I'd be using it, I guess..?), and neither caused a problem... There might be one, it'd just probably take a lot longer, now, to have it happen...
    Loading and watching (without sound, due to no audio service :P) a few vids didn't cause any problems...nor did Cyberlink YouCam, Lenovo's little application that does stuff with the built-in webcam... the whole "AMD Driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered thing or black screen of death (referring to when windows doesn't recover, constantly tries to reload everything onto the screen unsuccessfully, etc.), usually happens at the beginning of the video, but has occurred some time later during playback, before...
    No problems with any of the above, though -- in the very small amount of time I devoted to testing them, anyway.  I expected things to be a little bit faster with the selective startup, but it was that and a little more, I felt..youcam usually loads pretty slow, and I already mentioned that viewing multiple pictures in rapid succession seemed nearly instant in this state (usually takes at least a second or two to initially, then fully, load a picture, when switching like that...).
    It wasn't a fair enough time to test for the problem, given how much less often it occurs, now...
    I don't know if I made it clear enough above in my earlier posts, but it was usually VERY random, occurring nearly every few pics, to not occurring for another 10, 20 and so on.
    So, that it's a program/service loaded during normal startup, but not diagnostic/selective, is a possibility...but it could also just mean that having more going on to take up resources just helps push it over the edge a little faster/easier, if that makes sense..?
    It could be anything...but a LOT of people like to blame Aero for problems of this sort...and that's another possibility, I guess. It wasn't loaded, it seems...(things look like basic/classic), and it's generally "the cause" of, or at least a contributing malefactor to, some graphics problems...

So, I don't know what I should do, now, in regards to that.

Unlike that problem, the seemingly random BSODs that I was getting seemed to completely stop for a while (or I can't recall one since the last I had around that time) -- up until a few days ago. I've had at least a few, now, recently..
    One occurred while I was working in jGrasp...and I may or may not have had a firefox window in the background (which have been open when I've had a BSOD before, and may have mentioned in the OP)...
    I don't recall much else about that one (didn't even bother to see what it said caused it...ugh, lol.)
    The main one I keep thinking about, however, is the most recent one...all I had open at the time, again, was firefox. I was just surfing/lurking deviantArt, I think...something I like to do, I guess. Anyway, at some point I noticed firefox (well, all of windows, at the time, actually) seemed to get pretty slow, and kept at this for a little while before I put my computer to sleep. When I loaded back up, everything was fine again, so I continued wasting my time for a bit, before I got slapped with a BSOD outta nowhere...
    This one said something to the effect of "A secondary processor failed to receive a clock interrupt". That's one I've had before, and while using the same program.
    So, could firefox be causing some issues for me, as well? Or something on my computer has one with firefox..?  Or is it a hardware problem..? I started thinking about the last one when I searched for this and read, in a somewhat old thread, that someone took everyones guesses that it may be a faulty core, and decided to test it by raising the frequency of individual cores with a modified program that later versions of normally wouldn't have allowed him to do so with (because his motherboard or chipset or whatever didn't support it), and found that he got hit by the blue screen only when he modified his CPU's third core (I think it was a Phenom quad of some kind..mine's an i7).  I tried to use it (though I think it's at a much later version, now), AMD Overdrive, but I'd only get to "initializing.." before it said it could not start. It's most likely not anything to do with the mod he needed to do, but I tried it anyway and still couldn't get past that error (though the early version said something about admin rights, and I already had every application it the file set to use that, so...). I tried searching for help, but I didn't find much...

At least I've been trying, somewhat, to figure out the problem, I guess...whatever it is, it's not a simple fix like "update your drivers" etc., I'm pretty sure...and may even be a hardware problem, in which case...I'm still under warranty.
    I'm not sending this in until I'm fairly certain it's that, or at least something definite that would call for such...the issue is very hard to reproduce on purpose, it's only happened while I wasn't thinking about it and was just using my computer under normally, for both issues.
    I've read quite a few bad experiences with this, from having had nothing changed about a computer at all (with a rude reply that there was nothing wrong with it, though they still end up having problems...), to it getting banged-up either en-route or at wherever it was sent to, or even to, apparently, someone just THROWING the laptop away! That last may be not be real, but it still worries me about leaving my laptop in some possibly uncapable and uncaring hands...

Thanks again for helping...hope this can be solved.

tl;dr: Sorry it took so long -- my drivers are the latest, I don't think it's something as simple as that. Problems are a fraction of what they used to be, for no apparent reason, but they still do occur. Did a selective startup. Liked how quick things were -- I expected, it but was still surprised -- tried to reproduce the problem by loading many videos and pictures one-after-the-other, but it did not reproduce (I did not spend nearly enough time doing this, though, especially since it only happens very rarely without warning, now). Could it be Aero, as many like to blame, or Win7 or 64bit for that matter, as a whole? Selective startup may only help because there are less programs running, making it take longer to reproduce, perhaps...
    Unlike the several errors with the problem above, I've had next to no BSODs, until a few days ago, at least.  Mainly recall one to do with the "Secondary processor did not receive clock interrupt in time", which I had when I was just surfing the web with firefox (again..? (as in first post)). One of the others may have happened while I had a firefox window open in the background, as well, when I was working in jGrasp (java).
    Would prefer to find an issue that couldn't be repaired on my own before sending somewhere, as I've heard stories...
    Appreciate any and all help!

• Edited by kcinfinity Friday, October 22, 2010 10:13 AM I'm a grammar nazi
    Friday, October 22, 2010 10:08 AM