none
Resource pool and personal calendars RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I make a resource pool with 1 resource.

This resource pool is shared in 2 other projects.

Now I would like that resource to be available in Project 1 from 8 to 12 and in Project 2 from 13 to 17 o'clock.

But all other resources in Project 1 and 2 must be available from 8 to 17, so I cannot modify the project calendars.

And when I modify the personal resource calendar it is impacted in both projects and in the pool, because there can only be 1 version

Is there a way this can be done?

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 3:07 PM

Answers

• Create Project Calendars:

1. Standard Calendar: 8 to 17
    2. Morning Shift: 8 to 12
    3. Afternoon Shit: 13 to 17
    • For entire project use #1 calendar,
    • For Project 1 uses #1 Calendar & Resource 1 related tasks, use #2 calendar at task level. Click Scheduling ignores resource calendars. 
    • For Project 2 uses #1 Calendar & Resource 1 related tasks, use #3 calendar at task level. Click Scheduling ignores resource calendars. 

• Marked as answer by Roger Heirbaut Wednesday, April 18, 2018 8:32 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Roger Heirbaut Wednesday, April 18, 2018 8:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Roger Heirbaut Wednesday, April 18, 2018 8:52 PM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2018 7:28 PM

All replies

• Create Project Calendars:

1. Standard Calendar: 8 to 17
    2. Morning Shift: 8 to 12
    3. Afternoon Shit: 13 to 17
    • For entire project use #1 calendar,
    • For Project 1 uses #1 Calendar & Resource 1 related tasks, use #2 calendar at task level. Click Scheduling ignores resource calendars. 
    • For Project 2 uses #1 Calendar & Resource 1 related tasks, use #3 calendar at task level. Click Scheduling ignores resource calendars. 

• Marked as answer by Roger Heirbaut Wednesday, April 18, 2018 8:32 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Roger Heirbaut Wednesday, April 18, 2018 8:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Roger Heirbaut Wednesday, April 18, 2018 8:52 PM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2018 7:28 PM
  • This is a good solution if there is only 1 resource for the task.

In case the task must be performed by a resource with a 'normal' calendar together with the resource that has limited working hours, this solution cannot be used 

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 8:52 PM
  • How about just use two separate resources to represent the one resource? The only downside is that you would have no indication of overallocation and no way to resolve it with levelling. But even this could be worked around by having another made up resource assigned exactly as the other two are, which would pick up the overallocation. Of course, this would artificially inflate the work, but that resource's work could just be deducted from the overall work.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2018 10:13 PM
  • Veera,

Sounds like the afternoon period is a real bummer. A few seconds of proofreading is worth a ton of embarrassment.

John

Thursday, April 19, 2018 1:40 AM
  • Hi Trevor, The missing indication of overallocation is indeed a serious drawback in your suggestion. The workaround you propose could lead easily to errors in my opinion, at least in environments where you have a vast project team there will be a lot of confusion possible.  
    Thursday, April 19, 2018 7:54 AM