Outlook 2013 - Download shared folders and GPO RRS feed

• Question

• We're running Outlook 2013 (15.0.5101.1000) 64-bit in our environment and I have need to disable the "Download shared folders" option when Cached Mode is in use.  I have worked through the following article, but for some reason Outlook doesn't seem to change this default behavior regardless of what key gets created.  I have used the Office 2013 x64 ADMX package and GPOs as well as manually created the keys, Outlook never disables this setting.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/982697/by-default-shared-mail-folders-are-downloaded-in-cached-mode-in-outloo

Anyone else run into this?  Any suggestions?

Regards,
    Adam Tyler

Thursday, February 7, 2019 5:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Adam,

As the article you shared mentions two scenarios, according to the description in your thread, you may need to refer to the "More Information" section of the article, rather than the "Disable shared mail folder caching" setting which only controls the cache behavior of shared mail folders.

For your situation, the setting that controls the caching of all shared folders is located under User Configuration > Administrative Templates > your version of Microsoft Outlook > Account Settings > Exchange > Cached Exchange Mode, and the setting is named "Download shared non-mail folders". I tested in my Outlook 2016 and it worked properly:

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 8, 2019 5:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Adam,

As the article you shared mentions two scenarios, according to the description in your thread, you may need to refer to the "More Information" section of the article, rather than the "Disable shared mail folder caching" setting which only controls the cache behavior of shared mail folders.

For your situation, the setting that controls the caching of all shared folders is located under User Configuration > Administrative Templates > your version of Microsoft Outlook > Account Settings > Exchange > Cached Exchange Mode, and the setting is named "Download shared non-mail folders". I tested in my Outlook 2016 and it worked properly:

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 8, 2019 5:48 AM
  • Boom!  I bet this will do it.  I didn't realize that GPO setting was there.  Wonder why my referenced article didn't discuss this additional setting?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/982697/by-default-shared-mail-folders-are-downloaded-in-cached-mode-in-outloo

I will test and let you know.

-Adam

Friday, February 8, 2019 4:16 PM
  • Boom!  I bet this will do it.  I didn't realize that GPO setting was there.  Wonder why my referenced article didn't discuss this additional setting?

I will test and let you know.

-Adam

Hi Adam,

The GPO setting in my image above (Download shared non-mail folders) is mentioned in your referenced article. You can scroll down and see the More Information section of the article:

Please have a go and check the result. If it works, it would be appreciated that you can help mark the useful post as answer to close the thread. If you still need assistance on the issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Monday, February 11, 2019 2:15 AM
  • Hi Adam,

Just checked in to see how everything is going. Was the registry key above useful? 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 6:31 AM
  • Hi Yuki, I did see that section, but it seemed to lead with using the Microsoft Office Customization tool which isn't the approach I was using and I must have checked out.  After taking a closer look it does appear to mention the ADMX template approach too..
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 9:02 PM
  • You suggested solution solved the problem for me.  Thank you.
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 9:03 PM
  • You suggested solution solved the problem for me.  Thank you.

Glad to be of help :-D

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Thursday, March 7, 2019 1:40 AM