none
How can I display assignment-level Work in hours and days in the same view? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a view based on Task Usage and I shows the Work figure for each resource assigned to a task.  My Options settings are to display Work in hours.  Want I'd like to do is have a custom field to calculate the equivalent number of days for each assignment-level work value.  Our hours per day are 7.4 so the calculated field should be [Work]/7.4.  eg.

Task Name >  Work         >  Work-days (Calc'd Field)

Task 1

Fred        >  7.4 hrs     >  1 days

I tried creating a Resource custom field to do this but what displays is the value of the Task-level Work and this same value is repeated on every assignment row.  MSP is not using the Work value of the assignment. 

Is there a way to acheive this view?

Thanks

John

Thursday, December 4, 2014 11:58 AM

Answers

• Hi John,

You cannot have both at the time in the same view work in days and in hours. And you cannot display custom fields in the timephased grid of the usage views.

You have to go to the file menu, options, schedule and you set that the work unit will be by days. So the work amount will be displayed by days in your view.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Thursday, December 4, 2014 12:06 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

You cannot have both at the time in the same view work in days and in hours. And you cannot display custom fields in the timephased grid of the usage views.

You have to go to the file menu, options, schedule and you set that the work unit will be by days. So the work amount will be displayed by days in your view.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, December 4, 2014 12:06 PM
  • Hi Guillaume

It's a pity that it can only be done using the schedule option. 

Thanks for your quick response anyway.

John

Thursday, December 4, 2014 1:14 PM
  • You're welcome John.

You could have a calculated task custom field which could divid the work in hours by 7.4 hours, but even like this you couldn't add it to a usage view and it would be only at task level, not assignment. Maybe a VBA macro could switch automatically the option but I'm not sure.

If a reply above helped you, please mark it as an answer so other users with a similar concern can refer to it.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, December 4, 2014 1:21 PM
  • Hello John,

Here's the good news. to answer your question: Yes, we can. This is the VBA code that does it:

Sub WorkinDays

for each job in activeproject.tasks

if not job is nothing then

for each assig in job.assignments

assig.number7=assig.work/(60*activeproject.hoursperday)

next assig

end if

next job

end sub

It will show what you need in the number7 field in Task Usage

Instructions as to how to implement a VBA macro can be found in masamiki.com

Greetings,

Thursday, December 4, 2014 3:21 PM