none
Update rollup KB3000850 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can somebody clarify what an Update Rollup is all about? And what is the difference with a service pack? This what I found on technet.

Service packs

Cumulative sets of all hotfixes, security updates, critical updates, and updates created since the release of the product. Service packs might also contain a limited number of customer-requested design changes or features.

Update rollups

Cumulative set of hotfixes, security updates, critical updates, and updates packaged together for easy deployment. A rollup generally targets a specific area, such as security, or a specific component, such as Internet Information Services (IIS).

At this moment, my assumption is:

-An update rollup contains only patches that are not published via WSUS (I checked the kb numbers in the Rollup and don't find these in our WSUS)
    -A service pack contains all patches, so those published via WSUS and those in the rollups...

Is my assumption correct?

Is it recommended to install these update rollups or should we see this as optional updates?

Thanks

Friday, December 19, 2014 9:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Update rollup is an update package. It is smaller than Service Pack and generally Service Pack is for updating new features - SP will not release so frequently (Update Rollup generally will be released every several months).

Here is the description of "Update rollup":

Definition: A tested, cumulative set of hotfixes, security updates, critical updates, and updates that are packaged together for easy deployment. A rollup generally targets a specific area, such as security, or a component of a product, such as Internet Information Services (IIS).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824684/en-us

Generally Hotfixes are specifically for fixing an issue, which is an optional patch. Every some time Microsoft will release an update rollup which contain some important updates and hotfixes which is confirmed that they can help resolve some common issues occurs in the past time. So it is recommended to install Update Rollup for all computers.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:17 AM