none
Message Delivery Restrictions on nested groups

Question

• Hi,

I have a Distribution list "DL1" that is restricted in who can send to it. Presently external user "UserX" can send to this DL1.

The Distribution list "DL1" also has other Distribution lists as members.

Do I need to also allow UserX to send to the member Distribution lists - even though UserX does not send to these nested DL's directly?

It seems to me that the nested DL's must also allow UserX to send to it (if restricted) -  but I can't find any MS documentation to confirm.

Can anybody please shed some light to confirm or deny this requirement for nested DL's.

Many thanks

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 12:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    I am confused about your description.
    On your post, I noticed you want to allow UserX to send to the member Distribution lists but userX does not send to these nested DL's directly, I don't understand why you need to do this.
    Based on my knowledge, the nested groups won't follow the security assigned to the parent distribution group. You need to give the settings explicitly to each nested groups.
    Regards,
    David 

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 7:20 AM
  • Thanks David,

That was my understanding too - that a user who is permitted to send to a "top-level" DL does not necessarily have permissions to send to DL's that are members of this "top-level" DL.

I just couldn't find any official MS documentation to support this.

We have some DL's that have many levels of nested DL's as members (eg, The All-staff  DL is comprised of many other DL's) . Some users were given permissions to send to the All-staff DL - thinking they would be able to send to  all members of this DL, including nested DL's.

I have since applied permissions to the nested DL's as well -so that users authorized to send the All-staff DL can in fact send to all members of that DL.

Regards

John

Monday, April 4, 2016 10:10 AM
  • If nested DL's are also restricted then you will have to add UserX permissions to send to those DL's also.  This can get tricky so if you start nesting DL's with restrictions you should start using a security group or you will go crazy with nesting.
    Monday, December 18, 2017 11:19 PM