Discovery by extended attribute RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, We have large environment with many MPs for many applications. Each server in the environment has registry key that defined to which application it belongs to. We have core MP that extends Windows computer class with additional attributes. Similar to what is described in Kevin Holman's post creating custom group: http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2009/06/10/creating-custom-dynamic-computer-groups-based-on-registry-keys-on-agents.aspx I am wondering why we can't use this attribute to target our custom MPs. Now we push hundreds of MP to all servers and run hundreds of discoveries on all servers just to find what we already know (that this group of servers belongs to this application). Each and every server has 400+ MPs. Are we over doing something here? Is there a better way of doing this? Let me know if you need more information, in short we to take Kevin's example if we have support level 1,2,3 and I have MPs for each of this levels I don't want MP for level1 to be running on servers for level 2 and 3 and so on. Regards, AT
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 9:02 PM

Answers