none
Show outlook calendar for distribution groups fails, when more than 100 members. RRS feed

• Question

• When we add distrubution groups to the calendar in outlook.

For easy overview, of all the employees.
    It works very well, until the distribution group reach 100 members. 
    Outlook calendar can only show 30 members at one time, and that is fine.
    But when the distribution group is lager than 100, it simply fails to add any of the member in the calendar.
    It just return a fail.
    (I have done a lot of tests, and it is when the group reach more that 100 members the problem occour. When I started investigating the problem, I thought it was specific users that was causing the problem)

This guy descripe the problem, exactly as mine, but I don't think the answer for the problem is correct.
    https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/28224788/using-exchange-distribution-list-calendar-view-from-Address-Book.html

The pictures and error description is in danish, please use translate, to see in english.
    I belive the problem is, that there is a hidden limit in outlook, that don't allow to add groups with more than 100 members.
    This problem only occour in outlook calendar, there is no problem, when sending a mail to the distrubition group.
    It is not possible to use distrubution groups frem OWA calendar, so the problem can only be seen with outlook client.

I would like to change the limit, so all distribution list, is add'able, nomatter how many people are in the list.

Error code from eventviewer:

Microsoft Outlook
    Denne gruppe kan ikke åbnes. Du kan få flere oplysninger ved at kontakte Microsoft Exchange Server-administratoren.
    P1: 302080
    P2: 16.0.9029.2167
    P3: 
    P4: 0x80040403

I have added 3 pictures:
    1. showing a group of 97 members.
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArGJKYGuskl5b3rIfi_jIMJnMUw

2. Showing a group of more than 100 Members (238 excatly):
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArGJKYGuskl5cLiqLQVD06SUyo0

3. Error message from eventviewer after trying to show the group with more than 100 members.
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArGJKYGuskl5ca3OReL4YRTLEKY

Friday, March 9, 2018 7:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Bjarne,

Do you mean to share a Calendar to the distribution group?

Does this issue happen to all users?

Currently, I haven't found any official articles about the limitation of distribution lists when sharing a Calendar. Please confirm the setting of your server admin and update the detailed error messages here so that we can do more research.

If you cannot put the screenshot here, you can upload it to OneDrive (https://onedrive.live.com/) and then share the link here. Please remember to remove all your personal information like email address or company information before posting. You can also send the picture to the GBSD TN Office Information Collection: ibsofc@microsoft.com. Please involve the thread URL in the email message for easy follow-up.

Any updates, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, March 12, 2018 6:40 AM
  • Hi Bjarne,

Haven't heard from you for several days. How is everything going on with this issue?

You could share the screenshot with us so that we can do more research.

If you have more concern, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, March 15, 2018 9:08 AM
  • Question: Do you mean to share a Calendar to the distribution group?
    Answer: No, I only want to see a distribution group, with the outlook client, in the calendar area, in order to see alle employees meeting and dailey task, at the same time.

Question: Does this issue happen to all users?
    Answer: Yes, everyone that tries to open a distribution group with 100 or more members, get the same failure.

Question: Currently, I haven't found any official articles about the limitation of distribution lists when sharing a Calendar. Please confirm the setting of your server admin and update the detailed error messages here so that we can do more research.

Answer: I have just opdated the original post, with links and pictures.
    Please see them, to undestand my question better.

Also, sorry for the long reply time, for some reason, I don't get notofication, when a update happes on this page.

Monday, March 19, 2018 11:43 AM
  • Hi Bjarne,

Thank you for your update.

According to the information, this issue seems to be more related with server-side settings. As here we mainly focus on general questions and feedback related to Outlook desktop application, I'm not familiar with server settings.

I'd like to recommend you to post this thread to Exchange Server Forum to get a better response.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 7:47 AM
  • Thank you for trying.
    And telling me where I should put the question.
    I have tryed asking it where you suggested.

Regards.
    Bjarne

Friday, March 23, 2018 9:57 AM
  • You are welcome.

If you have other concern about Outlook client, please feel free to post here. We are willing to help.

Regards,

Perry

Saturday, March 24, 2018 3:33 AM