OneDrive as a network drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I need to map OneDrive as a network drive for my users, It has to be silent and no one should write any credential. I already have a script that automatically connects the current user to his OneDrive Account (They both use the same credential). My script uses the path \\mydomain.sharepoint.com@SSL\personal\user_mydomain\Documents to connect to OneDrive. Unfortunately, when I put some file on the drive, it increase my local storage. I would like to know if it is possible to map OneDrive as a network drive without increasing my local storage.

Thank

Laflèche Chevrette

p.s : sorry if I made mistakes, english isn't my native language.

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 4:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Laflèche Chevrette,

Based on your description, I know that you are trying to map OndDrive(SharePoint) as a network drive. As far as I know, it's recommended to use sync instead of mapping a drive.

Mapping a library as a network drive is temporary and supported only through Internet Explorer. Instead, sync SharePoint files with the new OneDrive sync client which provides Files On-Demand. Access all your files in OneDrive without using local storage space.

In other words, if you map OneDrive(SharePoint) as a network drive, you won't be able to use Files On-Demand feature to save local storage.

Hope the information was helpful. If you have anything unclear, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 9:23 AM
  • If this is not possible, i'll change my question. All users in my establishment have access to office 365 and 1TB on OneDrive. Currently, our users store their data in a network drive connected to a personal folder on a NAS. I would like to change this network drive with OneDrive. Instead, is it possible to connect OneDrive as a shared folder without increasing my local storage? My users should not enter any credential, so i have to script the processus (I have a way to get the current user password). Can OneDrive work as my actual network drive? Or is it impossible for OneDrive?

If everything i wrote earlier is impossible, is there a way to store only on cloud with the default OneDrive application in Windows 10 (It as to be done automatically)?

Thank

Laflèche Chevrette

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 3:57 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my delay. Based on my knowlege, mapping OneDrive as local driver will lose the feature Files On-Demand of OneDrive.

We can save disk space with OneDrive Files On-Demand for Windows 10. To enable the feature for your users, you can using Group Policy or Registry: Use OneDrive Files On-Demand.

Hope it helped. 

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Wednesday, March 11, 2020 9:46 AM