none
Auto cleaning drive DPM & DELL TL2000 with Non-Dedicated Cleaning Slot (DCS) RRS feed

• Question

• I been struggling to know how to make DPM auto clean drive it self.
    Currently we using DPM 2010 with tapes library DELL TL2000 2U without Dedicated Cleaning Slot (DCS).
    TL2000 support LTO5 tapes.

Is very frustrating see job many TB just fail because require cleaning.

Anyone have solution on this same configuration?

Also I have question regarding these two screenshot.

On the first screen shot tape backup was successful but give warning require to clean and the second screen shot tape backup fail and require to clean. What condition make this two different? Anyone can answer this?

• Edited by Oneoa Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:36 AM
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM 2010 does not perform auto-clean operations, you must clean the dirty tape using the GUI option manually.  I cannot explain the different behavior how the jobs behaved differently for a dirty tape drive.  It could be that we got a hard IO error after the drive reported itself as dirty, so we could not continue with the backup and failed the job.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, May 18, 2012 7:46 PM
  • Hi,

DPM 2010 does not perform auto-clean operations, you must clean the dirty tape using the GUI option manually.  I cannot explain the different behavior how the jobs behaved differently for a dirty tape drive.  It could be that we got a hard IO error after the drive reported itself as dirty, so we could not continue with the backup and failed the job.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

That is terrible, other backup software will not cancel the job and will continue to do the job.

Why DPM behaved if IO error as dirty then canceling the job?

If DPM can't perform auto clean operation, could Microsoft done something to ignore the IO error message so let the library it self can do auto clean?

Monday, May 28, 2012 3:04 AM
  • I too have been suffering from the same issue.

Our previous backup software had no problems handling a tape clean operation in the middle of a job.

It would just pause the active job, carry out the cleaning operation, then reload the active tape and continue with the job without any issues.

I do not understand why this is not a basic functionality of DPM.

I should not have to manually carry out a cleaning operation after every job, even when the drive does not need it.  This is proving to be a very wasteful use of cleaning tapes.

Tape drive cleaning should be an automated process that is carried out as and when the drive requires it.

From the information I can see reported in the DPM Alerts window it looks as though the drive is communicating the message that it requires a clean, but DPM just igores it and keeps on writing to the tape.

I have tried setting the tape library up with a fixed cleaning drive, so it will attempt to clean the drive when the library receives a message from the tape drive, but this also causes the job in progress to fail as DPM does not recognise that the drive is being cleaned and thinks there is a problem with the tape or drive.

Monday, October 1, 2012 4:55 PM
  • when u applied system center operations manager management pack for DPM, u can monitor the failure that u have reported, there u can create a recovery task, then u must also create a task that will after clean drive was succesfull also starts the resume job for the failed backups...

gruss Daniel Ovadia MBSS - Microsoft Dynamics CRM MCNPS

• Proposed as answer by Daniel Ovadia Monday, November 12, 2012 10:36 AM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 10:36 AM