none
Outlook AddIn not running on Outlook 2016 but works on Office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

For one of our customers, they are unable to run our add in on Outlook 2016 for PC. They are able to run it on the web. On the desktop client it gives the error: 

ADD-IN ERROR - This add-in could not be started. Close this dialog to ignore the problem or click "Restart" to try again.

We have been unable to reproduce this issue, and there have not been reports of this issue from any other clients.  I'm just looking to see if this would be something to fix on our end, or if it is perhaps some sort of configuration issue with our client?  Any help or insight is much appreciated. 

Thanks!

• Moved by Steve FanModerator Tuesday, August 22, 2017 8:03 AM Move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Monday, August 14, 2017 10:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>>We have been unable to reproduce this issue, and there have not been reports of this issue from any other clients.

So you can use the add-in in your environment without issue, correct? Do you have the same version of Outlook as the customer installed in your environment? We may try to test with the same version of Outlook in case this issue was caused due to a compatibility issue after the customer installed a recent update.

What kind of add-in is it? Please also suggest the customer to try uninstalling and then reinstalling the add-in and then see if that will correct the error.

Besides, we can also try the following method provided by Nelson Thomas in this thread and then see whether this issue persists:

1. In Internet Explorer, click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
    2. Click the Security tab, and then select the Internet Sites Zone.
    3. Select the Enable Protected Mode check box, and then click OK.
    4. Restart Internet Explorer and outlook
    5. Try now!!
    6. If it didn't work, enable Protected mode on Restricted Zone and try.

Please let us know the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 9:39 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Thank you for your response. Correct, I can use the add-in in my environment (and I've tried it on multiple). We are on the same base version of Outlook (16.xxx).  

The add in is fairly basic, it only utilizes the user's profile and the recipients in the email. Otherwise it hits our (third party) end points. I did have them try uninstalling and reinstalling but it didn't help.

I am going to have them try and follow the steps you provided. I will post an update once they have attempted to do so.

Best

Friday, August 18, 2017 4:52 PM
  • Hi,

How is everything going? Please don't hesitate to post back with any findings.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 28, 2017 9:21 AM
  • This has been frustrating me for a couple of months. The above solution worked for me. Assuming since the add-in is basically running an ie "webpart" within outlook.  Thanks!
    Friday, February 14, 2020 3:50 PM