none
Configure WSUS server to failover to mirrored SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have WSUS 3.0 SP2 connected to an instance called WSUS on SQL Server 2008 R2 which is mirrored to another machine. I have 2 questions:

1. Does only the SUSB database need to be mirrored? What about the ReportServer$WSUS & ReportServer$WSUSTempDB databases?

2. How can I configure the WSUS application to failover over to the new principal server? 

Thanks

leeym27
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 9:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It doesn't seem to have an article describing in the WSUS Technet library,and I think it is irrelevant to WSUS.WSUS only attach to one Database.

You seem to deploy the SQL Server Failover Clustering for WSUS DB or Database Mirroring? If so,you'd better ask in the SQL server forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatabasemirroring/threads

Best regards,

Clarence

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, February 3, 2012 7:47 AM
  • Does anyone know how to configure the WSUS application to see a mirrored SQL Server 2008 R2 database?

WSUS does not support automatic failover on a SQL mirror.

Automatic Failover with a SQL Mirror is something that must be programmed into the application, or sometimes can be configured using the connection string in the application.config file. Since WSUS does not use that functionality -- the database instance name is hard coded in the registry -- mirrors are not supported.

If you need database failover capability for a WSUS server (a question to be considered in itself) -- you will need to configure a SQL Cluster with automatic failover in the cluster.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 12:45 AM
  • However, what steps need to be taken to MANUALLY change the database it relies on? This way I can still have mirrored databases, but will have to manually failover.

This question was already answered:
    1. Mirrored database configuration is not supported with WSUS. (That is to say if you implement it, and do a manual failover, it may not work as you expect.)
    2. The database configuration values are hard-coded in the registry.

Friday, February 10, 2012 8:43 PM
  • What manual changes do I have to make on the WSUS server to point to a mirrored server in case I need to?
    Nothing if it is a mirrored server.

Not True. Mirrored servers are not supported with WSUS, and "automatic failover" is not a feature of a SQL Mirror, so the answer "Nothing" would not be correct in any scenario!

Mirror failover is an implementation capability of the application that is configured in the application's Database Connection String. Since WSUS does not use a (user accessible) Connection String, WSUS cannot be configured to automatically 'failover' when a mirror node goes offline. Because that cannot be done, WSUS is not supported in a mirrored configuration.

It would require the admin to manually reconfigure the registry to point to an alternate database node. As long as that's going to be done, it makes immensely more sense to simply configure a Hot-Standby Replica Server, and reconfigure the *GPO* to point to the replica server if the primary fails -- plus that implementation is actually supported!

Friday, February 10, 2012 8:52 PM

All replies

• Does anyone know how to configure the WSUS application to see a mirrored SQL Server 2008 R2 database?
    leeym27
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 9:06 PM
  • Hi,

It doesn't seem to have an article describing in the WSUS Technet library,and I think it is irrelevant to WSUS.WSUS only attach to one Database.

You seem to deploy the SQL Server Failover Clustering for WSUS DB or Database Mirroring? If so,you'd better ask in the SQL server forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatabasemirroring/threads

Best regards,

Clarence

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, February 3, 2012 7:47 AM

WSUS does not support automatic failover on a SQL mirror.

Automatic Failover with a SQL Mirror is something that must be programmed into the application, or sometimes can be configured using the connection string in the application.config file. Since WSUS does not use that functionality -- the database instance name is hard coded in the registry -- mirrors are not supported.

If you need database failover capability for a WSUS server (a question to be considered in itself) -- you will need to configure a SQL Cluster with automatic failover in the cluster.

Saturday, February 4, 2012 12:45 AM
  • What manual changes do I have to make on the WSUS server to point to a mirrored server in case I need to? thanks
    leeym27
    Monday, February 6, 2012 4:54 PM
  • What manual changes do I have to make on the WSUS server to point to a mirrored server in case I need to? thanks
    leeym27

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 5:30 AM
  • But according to the other posts in this thread, it is NOT possible to configure the WSUS application server with a connection string to see both the principal and mirrored server.

Do you know a way to do this?

leeym27

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 2:28 PM
  • But according to the other posts in this thread, it is NOT possible to configure the WSUS application server with a connection string to see both the principal and mirrored server.

Do you know a way to do this?

leeym27

WSUS is not supporting automatic failover on a SQL mirror.A mirrored server I mentioned is just making a image of whole SQL DB.Using the imaged SQL db When the existing DB is corrupted.So you don't need to do anything.With all the SQL you want to know,pls post to the SQL forum.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:12 AM
  • I dont think you're following me. 

I understand that WSUS does not support AUTOMATIC failover. However, what steps need to be taken to MANUALLY change the database it relies on? This way I can still have mirrored databases, but will have to manually failover.

Thanks

leeym27

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:58 PM
  • What manual changes do I have to make on the WSUS server to point to a mirrored server in case I need to?
    Not True. Mirrored servers are not supported with WSUS.

Friday, February 10, 2012 8:39 PM
  • However, what steps need to be taken to MANUALLY change the database it relies on? This way I can still have mirrored databases, but will have to manually failover.

This question was already answered:
    1. Mirrored database configuration is not supported with WSUS. (That is to say if you implement it, and do a manual failover, it may not work as you expect.)
    2. The database configuration values are hard-coded in the registry.

Friday, February 10, 2012 8:43 PM

Not True. Mirrored servers are not supported with WSUS, and "automatic failover" is not a feature of a SQL Mirror, so the answer "Nothing" would not be correct in any scenario!

Mirror failover is an implementation capability of the application that is configured in the application's Database Connection String. Since WSUS does not use a (user accessible) Connection String, WSUS cannot be configured to automatically 'failover' when a mirror node goes offline. Because that cannot be done, WSUS is not supported in a mirrored configuration.

It would require the admin to manually reconfigure the registry to point to an alternate database node. As long as that's going to be done, it makes immensely more sense to simply configure a Hot-Standby Replica Server, and reconfigure the *GPO* to point to the replica server if the primary fails -- plus that implementation is actually supported!

Friday, February 10, 2012 8:52 PM