Project 2010 Timesheet Actual Work does not sync with the Project Plan has manually entered Actual Work RRS feed

• Question

• Project 2010 Server (Timesheets) - Project 2010 Proffesional

• Resource User can NO longer enter ACTUAL WORK from their timesheet
    • After the PM has manaully entered hours in the ACTUAL WORK column from the RESOURCE USAGE view (Project 2010 Pro)
    • We recall timesheet period and Delete the timesheet - when we create the period the manually entered ACTUAL WORK from the PM is there
    • When the new timesheets are submitted by the resource user and the Status Manager and Timesheet manager approve them - The Project Plan does sync Actual Work for only the task that was manually updated by the PM

Is there any way to sync the Timesheets Actual Work with the Project Plan Task Actual Work ?

Can the PM manually update the Actual Work from the Project plan and also the Resource User can submitt Actual Work from the Timesheets?

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 12:00 AM

Answers

• HI BIsaack,

I couldnt understand, why is your PM entering the actual hours in the project plan? are those tasks not assigned to the resources?

incase the PM has to work/update the assignments, become the assignment owner of those tasks and then later from the My timesheet page enter the hours, import the hours in your My task page to update the progress of the tasks and send for approval. this is how your actual work stays synced with your project.

in your case if you enter the actuals manually in the project plan, they will float to the timesheet automatically and delete/create the timesheet of the same period wont make any difference.

Does this help?

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 5:52 AM

All replies

• HI BIsaack,

I couldnt understand, why is your PM entering the actual hours in the project plan? are those tasks not assigned to the resources?

incase the PM has to work/update the assignments, become the assignment owner of those tasks and then later from the My timesheet page enter the hours, import the hours in your My task page to update the progress of the tasks and send for approval. this is how your actual work stays synced with your project.

in your case if you enter the actuals manually in the project plan, they will float to the timesheet automatically and delete/create the timesheet of the same period wont make any difference.

Does this help?

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 5:52 AM
  • Hello Khurram,

We are currently using these PWA settings;

• Single Entry mode
    • Task Settings and Display --> "ONLY ALLOW TASK UPDATES VIA TASKS TIMESHETS" turned off

We had a resource user submit 2 weeks of timesheets, the 3rd week the PM manually entried the actua work because the resource did not submit the timesheet before going on vacation, when the resource retured on the 5 week he attempted to add more actual time to the same task the PM manually added actual work. From the Timesheet view the actual work shows ups, but from the Project plan it stopped synching the week or period the PM updated the task actual work (week 3) so now we are in week 7 and only week or period 1 thru 3 show actual work in the Project plan, weeks 4 thru 7 do not sync to the project plan

The TIMESHEET tables has the correct data for ACTUAL WORK, but the Project Plan does not show any ACTUAL WORK updates - we have recalled and deleted the timesheets re-entered the actual work send task updates, and send for timesheet approvals, the Task Status Manager and Timesheet manager have approved all tasks status and timesheets, and the ACTUAL WORK does not sync back to the project plan.

At 1st it was only affecting one user as the weeks went on started affecting the rest of the Resourse Users assigned to task in this project and other projects.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 12:13 AM
  • Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:01 AM
  • All of the tasks were out of sync this is what we did to solve the issue

• Change server setting to "Only allow tasks updates via Taks and Timesheets" from the PWA - Task Settings and Display page - this acitivates Protected actuals so the PM can not enter actuals from the plan
    • We had to open all the periods 
    • recall all the timesheets (delegated mode)
    • Re-submit the timesheets with the original hours entered by the resources
    • after the timesheets and tasks updates were approved the Project Plan had an acurate % completed, and the timesheets were not out of sync any more...
    Monday, March 19, 2012 10:46 PM