none
Can't restore AppData on another computer using Windows 7 (old) Backup tool (Win10 > Win7) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I had to send my new Windows 10 laptop for repair, so I resuscitated an older Win 7 laptop, reverted to factory setup, installed all updates (this took ca. 2 full days!), upgraded CPU, memory and battery. And before sending I made a backup on the new Windows 10 computer using the (old) Windows 7 Backup tool. 

However, when restoring the user data to the refreshed Win 7 machine, seemingly none of the AppData content (that I included in the backup) was restored. There's a very long log listing this (27 megs!). This is very unfortunate, because apart from quite specific configuration here and there, some AppData folders contain actual user projects and other data, for example iTunes and Lightworks the video editor. There's no other place where user content (iTunes backups, Lightworks projects) is stored. Hence I need AppData to be restored, and to be true previously in some cases I used to copy the appropriate AppData folders between machines (Win 7, 8.1 and 10) to make sure the app in question has access to my data and runs as previously.

How should I proceed to restore the AppData content on the emergency machine?

Thanks in advance,

Antoni.

Thursday, December 13, 2018 5:04 PM

All replies