Media Player Problems in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• We have two of our home computers (a PC and a laptop) running Windows 8.1 plus one laptop running Windows 10. We have file, folder, printer, and media sharing set up on these three computers.

The Windows 8.1 PC is our Home Theater PC. It records and stores TV programs (via a cable-card digital tuner). It also stores our music collection (hundreds of ripped CDs). It is set up to share with "Everyone".

The other two computers (a Win 10 and a Win 8.1) are similarly set to share with "Everyone".

Problem 1: Major Windows 10 updates -  the twice a year type - break our network sharing on the Win 10 machine by resetting all file/folder and media share settings back to default. After tediously restoring those settings a couple of times I turned off Updates on the Win 10 computer by setting the "metered connection" thingy. So, we're on Win 10 version 1803.

I would like to know if there's a better way to keep our share settings, please?

Problem 2. On windows 10 computer, Media Player doesn't remember media information from the music collection stored on the Windows 8.1 HTPC. It's set up, of course, under Organize/Manage Libraries/Music/Add Location. It seems that each time I open Media Player on Win 10 the list of music albums is there and I can select and play them. BUT, Media Player is continually "Retrieving media info for: [names of albums]" and this goes on, seemingly,ad infinitum.

I would like to know if it's possible to make Media Player remember all the media information for the music collection, please?

By the way, our Windows 8.1 laptop was previously updated to Windows 10. Similar annoyances regarding home network sharing occurred on that laptop. Because of that and a couple of other quirks my girlfriend requested that we go back to 8.1. I restored an 8.1 System Image and it works fine. We use Classic Shell start menu on both 8.1 machines and we remain happy with that.

Saturday, June 8, 2019 5:41 PM

All replies

• Open WMP:

click "Organize", then "Options"
    On the library tab be sure to check "Rename music files using rip music settings" and "Rearrange music in rip music folder, using rip music settings". These settings will allow windows media player to organize the music in the folder you select on the "Rip Music" tab, so make sure this is the parent folder of all your music.
    Click "Apply" and "OK"
    click "Organize", then click "Apply media information changes".

=========

1. Open Windows Media Player >> Click on Organize >> Select Options.
    2. Under the Library tab, uncheck "Retrieve additional information from the internet".
    3. Under the Privacy tab,
      1. Uncheck “Display media information from the Internet” and “Update music files by retrieving media info from the Internet”.
      2. Click on Clear History and Clear Caches.
    4. Click on Apply and then OK.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Saturday, June 8, 2019 11:45 PM
  • Hi,

Was your issue solved?

If you resolved it using other’s reply, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 10, 2019 3:55 AM