xp windows installer not installed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm having a big problem and any help would be appreciated.

Whenever I am trying to install a new program (that uses 
    Windows Installer to install), I get an error message that says 

"The 
    Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

I have searched all over the internet for Windows Installer to 
    download (so I can replace my bad version), but I have found none because Win 7 is supposed to have Windows Installer built in. I cannot install or uninstall ANY SOFTWARE!  I have tried to do a system restore but it says it is turned off but when I go through the steps to turn it on it is showing up as turned on. Not sure if that is related.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 12:47 AM

All replies

• You are posting in the XP forum but mentions a Windows 7.

Are you looking for the Windows Installer for Windows XP?

If you're having this issue on a Windows 7, you should post your problem in the right forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/threads

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Please vote my post as helpful if you think it was, and mark it as an answer if it answered
    your question. That will help others with the same problem finding the answer. Thanks.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 4:51 AM
  • click start > run > type services.msc. A new window opens > search for windows installer service. Right-click the service and start.

Regards, h9ck3r.
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 5:41 AM
  • I'm running xp home edition and having the same error problem as above.  I already went to services and started it but it will not stay 'started'...everytime i go back and check to see if it's still started it's not????  I was having trouble with my printer so I uninstalled it and now I can't install it again because of this problem.  I have sp3 also.

If anyone can help with step by step instructions on how to fix this I would be so greatful.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 7:18 AM