SYSTEM IMAGE RESTORE FAILURE RRS feed

• Question

• I have started to have problems restoring system images on my desktop.

At the end of every attempt at this I receive the following message:-

"Re-image your computer.

The system image restore failed.

Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware.

The system image was created on a computer using BIOS and this computer is using EFI."

I have used the same methodology many times in the past without problems.

The only major change that I am aware of that I have made is to set up Hyper-v with a virtual PC.

Apart from (this system image restore failure) everything appears to operate as normal.

Any assistance with this problem would be appreciated.

Geoff

Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:37 AM

Answers

• I know that this question has been moved elsewhere; however I seem to have solved the problem.

Due to updates, the presentation of various options along the way have been changed, requiring different user responses and have become misleading.

The error message I was getting was inaccurate. The actual problem was that the restore software was interpreting the selection of a USB drive at start up as a UEFI device instead of a Legacy device as the boot device was being interpreted as the actual PC being of that type instead of looking at the PC itself.

Anyway things seem to be OK so far having been able to restore things from an off-site System Image prior to the Windows 10 updates on the 14th July.

• Marked as answer by GeoffBrannan Monday, August 8, 2016 4:34 AM
    Monday, August 8, 2016 4:34 AM

All replies

• It is probably not Hyper-v

It is probably that fact that you changed from MBR to EFI.  You cannot restore an MBR backup to a EFI drive as it would not boot.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:21 PM
  • I agree that Hyper-v is probably not involved; however assuming for a minute that the external drive somehow got changed to MBR from EFI - how do I reverse that process?

Please refer to my fresh question today which contains a lot more information and reply to that one.

Sorry about this but I thought that this question had failed to be posted.

Geoff

Saturday, July 30, 2016 5:40 AM
  • I know that this question has been moved elsewhere; however I seem to have solved the problem.

Due to updates, the presentation of various options along the way have been changed, requiring different user responses and have become misleading.

The error message I was getting was inaccurate. The actual problem was that the restore software was interpreting the selection of a USB drive at start up as a UEFI device instead of a Legacy device as the boot device was being interpreted as the actual PC being of that type instead of looking at the PC itself.

Anyway things seem to be OK so far having been able to restore things from an off-site System Image prior to the Windows 10 updates on the 14th July.

• Marked as answer by GeoffBrannan Monday, August 8, 2016 4:34 AM
    Monday, August 8, 2016 4:34 AM