none
Find appropriate time for DPM maintenanace. RRS feed

• Question

• I am not able to decide when to take a maintenance window for DPM server CPU upgrade and patches installation which requires reboot. I have 550 datasources, 400+ servers being backed up. Is there any way fetch scheduled jobs report so I can decide when DPM will be free???
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Just go under the Monitoring - Jobs, and select todays jobs. Group by Status - then expand the scheduled jobs.

If you cannot find an idle time, you can simple select a block of scheduled jobs and cancel them.   You can then perform your maintenance and reboot when no DPM jobs are scheduled to run.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 3:35 PM
  • I'm looking for a method of restricting when DPM 2012 R2 will backup virtual machines. What is happening is we have some VMs that will only back up if they are "Offline," which obviously isn't good if that happens during our business hours.

I saw this forum post from 4(!) years ago, with a last reply from 2 years ago looking for this feature:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2162878f-9bbc-404a-89f6-c562bf51cd97/exclude-a-special-time-window-for-backups-with-dpm-2010?forum=dataprotectionmanager

I looked everywhere for any hint that this was added, even as a powershell command, but I can't find anything.

What can be done to stop this from running during business hours and taking my client's VMs offline?

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 3:43 PM
  • HI,

Place the problematic VM's that can only be backed up offline in a separate protection group, and schedule the backups to run during non-business hours.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 3:51 PM
  • Where do I set the schedule in DPM to do this?
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:02 PM
  • As described by Mike you can fetch the information from inside the DPM Console.

If you would like to forecast for 7 Days forward you are able to create a Custom View for Scheduled Jobs within that timeframe. This can also be done inside the DPM Console.

Another option is to use PowerShell, as an example you could use this code:

Get-DPMJob -Status Scheduled -From 2014-02-11 -To 2014-02-18 | Group-Object StartTime | Sort-Object Name | Select-Object Count, Name | Export-Csv Path\Filename.csv -NoTypeInformation -Delimiter ";"

This will fetch all the Scheduled jobs within the timeframe specified. It will then group jobs together that start at the same time and also sort them using the Starttime property. The Count property equals the amount of jobs scheduled to run at that time. We later on export the information to a .CSV file where we could as an example create a line graph with the information to find a timeframe where we got least jobs scheduled.

Change the Delimiter to reflect your localization for Excel, and also specify the timeframe you would like to check.

Make note that we can only get scheduled jobs by running. Meaning that it might actually be a timeframe where we got idle time to do the maintenance.

In the end if you can't find an idle time you will have to cancel jobs as described by Mike, and you can then use the above PowerShell script to find a timeframe where you got the least scheduled jobs.

Kind regards,
    Tobias

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:57 PM
  • Hi,

We also have a DPM powershell script that you can run to automatically cancel jobs between certain hours.

Check out this post:

Cancel jobs in DPM 2010 through PowerShell

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:15 PM
  • What in the linked script needs altered to narrow it down to only run against a specified protection group? We still want our Exchange, SQL, Fileservers, etc to be backed up continually.

As a side note,  this seems like a core feature of a piece of backup software. How was that oversight even made?

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:40 PM
  • Thankyou Guys, will revert after checking this.
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 5:02 PM