none
Migration to New Server - Still pointed to old databases RRS feed

  • Question

  • Our old production server was running out of space and ....  The solution was to create a new server, and use the old server as a test machine.  The new server has it's own new name.

    I am finding that our olap cube in the new server, is actually pulling from the old server's database.  Project Reports (Excel) are pulling data from the old server not the new server.  I can fix some of these one at a time as I find them, but I keep running into more areas that appear to be pointing to the old server.

    Am I screwed?  Is there a list of places I need to look to correct all these? Is there a one location to fix all?

    Was there a documented process "Process" for migrating to a new machine, yet keep the old machine as a test server?  Point me to a tech document, I will be HAPPY to read through it - but I haven't found one on this topic or that addresses these issues.

    We are using Project Server 2010 "14.0.6029.1000" w/SP1

    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 9:37 PM

Answers

  • Thanks for the suggestions, there is no "Change it here and fix all"

    The Data Connections for each report had to be individually modified to point to the new database server.

    The OLAP cube, also had to be updated to pull in from the correct server.  We also had to update SharePoint central with new information as well.

    To prevent this from occuring in the future, we have created an "Production" alias.  All reports will point to that alias, which can be moved from server to new server.  This will save us lots of work in the future.

    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 7:40 PM

All replies

  • So the issue is only with OLAP?


    Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

    Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

    Thursday, June 13, 2013 12:34 AM
    Moderator
  • We also have reports in the business intelligence area that look to the old server. However, so far the reports I tested were ones we created. I haven't tested the canned reports yet.
    Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:35 AM
  • For OLAP you have to rebuild the cube with new server and update each OLAP  report to point to new server.

    For BI reports you need to updated data connection settings  after reconfiguring excel services and secure store configuration from Central admin


    Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

    Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

    Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:39 AM
    Moderator
  • Thanks for the suggestions, there is no "Change it here and fix all"

    The Data Connections for each report had to be individually modified to point to the new database server.

    The OLAP cube, also had to be updated to pull in from the correct server.  We also had to update SharePoint central with new information as well.

    To prevent this from occuring in the future, we have created an "Production" alias.  All reports will point to that alias, which can be moved from server to new server.  This will save us lots of work in the future.

    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 7:40 PM