FCS + SQL Licensing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    Please help to understand.
    I currently not understand FCS Management Console licensing, do I need to buy sql 2005 std license if I want manage only 150 workstation.
    Or I can use SQL 2005 Std with restriction to one database?

I found Microsoft Forefront Client Security Management Console with SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition* costs 2400$ but i don't need ent. v. And manage over 2000 clients.
    http://www.microsoft.com/Forefront/clientsecurity/en/us/pricing-licensing.aspx

Please advice.
    br,

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, you can use SQL 2005 standard edition (32 bit). Either you buy forefront bundled with SQL 2005 or without (if you already have a license).
    FCS needs two databases, one stores data collected from the clients and the other is for longtime storage of client data (Reporting db)

Hope this explains a little more
    /Johan 
    MCSE, forefront spec | www.msforefront.com
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 12:32 PM
  •  
    Johan Blom, Forefront MVP said:

Hi,

Yes, you can use SQL 2005 standard edition (32 bit). Either you buy forefront bundled with SQL 2005 or without (if you already have a license).
    FCS needs two databases, one stores data collected from the clients and the other is for longtime storage of client data (Reporting db)

Hope this explains a little more
    /Johan 

MCSE, forefront spec | www.msforefront.com

Please correct me.

Q: Do I can use SQL2005 STD with limitation for FCS? If idon't have sql2005 license?
    OR
    Q: This mean if I don't have SQL 2005 license, I must buy forefront with SQL 2005 (bundled)?

HOW To undestand license benefits:
    Inclusion of Microsoft Operations Manager (MOM) 2005 and SQL 2005 Enterprise Edition. The event logging and alerting system in Forefront Client Security is built on MOM 2005 technology, and the reporting system uses SQL Server 2005 (Standard Edition or Enterprise Edition). MOM 2005 and SQL Server 2005 Standard or Enterprise Edition, both restricted for use with Forefront Client Security, are included with the Management Console subscription. As a consequence, customers do not need to license MOM 2005 or SQL Server 2005 separately to use Forefront Client Security.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 7:22 AM