Domain joined PC - cannot edit notification area RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I have a domain joined Windows 7 PC, on which i cannot edit the notification area icons. When i attempt to do so, i'm told that the setting is managed by my administrator through group policy. However, i know for a fact that this is not the case as i'm the admin controlling GPO settings. Also, the small arrow usually present next to (left side) the notification area icons is missing.

What gives?

Thanks for your time.

Br,

David

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 7:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• Please check local policy settings. Open gpedit.msc and navigate to

User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Start Menu and Taskbar

In the right pane find the policy find the policy “Hide the Notification Area”. Make sure that it is disabled or not configured.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:43 AM
  • Please check local policy settings. Open gpedit.msc and navigate to

User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Start Menu and Taskbar

In the right pane find the policy find the policy “Hide the Notification Area”. Make sure that it is disabled or not configured.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Hi Arthur,

The policy is not configured.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:51 AM
  • Hi,

Please also check the following Registry branch.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Make sure that there is not a value named “NoTrayItemsDisplay”.

If it does not help, please let us know if the issue occurs when you log on with another user account to the computer. 

Friday, August 13, 2010 4:27 AM
  • Hi Arthur,

The registry key you refer does not exist on my machine.

Issue is the same when logging on with another user account.

Br,

David

Friday, August 13, 2010 6:07 AM
  • Can you configure the Notification Area in Safe Mode?

You may temporary disable antivirus and check the result. If the issue still occurs, please troubleshoot in Clean Boot Mode.

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program 

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, August 20, 2010 9:51 AM
    Monday, August 16, 2010 3:41 AM
  • I cannot. Booting in safe dosent help, and disabling my AV doesnt help either.

Friday, August 20, 2010 10:36 AM