none
What does "the credentials provided are invalid" mean? RRS feed

• Question

• I run a query. I'm asked to authenticate. I get the message "the credentials provided are invalid". Who is deciding that it's invalid?  The query uses Web.Content() and Fiddler shows there is no request to the server.
    Saturday, October 10, 2015 11:30 PM

Answers

• Power Query needs to know the credentials to use before it connects to a data source. It stores this setting when you click on Connect in the credentials dialog.

There is a bug where clicking Cancel does not remove the setting once Connect has been clicked. A fix for this will be out within the next couple of months.

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 7:11 PM

All replies

• I cleared all existing datasource settings using the UI and tried again. Still get "the credentials provided are invalid" and still no traffic to server. And even though it failed, it still puts an entry for the datasource in the Data Source Settings. That ain't right.  If a connection fails, you shouldn't create an entry.
    Saturday, October 10, 2015 11:37 PM
  • I figured out the problem. I had the "ApiKeyName" option in the Web.Content() call but had tried using basic authentication.  But I still don't think PQ should save a datasource unless the connection was successful. Can you explain this behaviour. I'm curious about what's going on under the hood.
    Saturday, October 10, 2015 11:53 PM
  • Power Query needs to know the credentials to use before it connects to a data source. It stores this setting when you click on Connect in the credentials dialog.

There is a bug where clicking Cancel does not remove the setting once Connect has been clicked. A fix for this will be out within the next couple of months.

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 7:11 PM