none
Creating Custom Columns in Microsoft Project RRS feed

• Question

• I need to a custom column which would act similar to Resource column. to be specific, i want to create a column called as Servers which would pickup the Servers which i select. The Servers can be inputted earlier in a list box which can enable me to pick the servers i want from the list. 

any pointers ?

Ratish
    Friday, July 22, 2011 12:56 AM

Answers

• Adding Servers as Resources did not work out for me. had tried it but i needed both Resources and Servers under different columns and Project would not allow that.

for ex: if I created two columns one as Resources and other as Servers.And the task was assigned to Resource A and would be working on Server 1 and 2. The Resource names would be displayed in Server column and vice versa.

at max, i need only 2 servers to be displayed so for now i am using a wild card character as '+'

let me know if i can create two resource pools - one for Resource column and other for Server column. that will work too :)

Ratish
    Monday, July 25, 2011 11:38 PM

All replies

• Use a text field and under customize Fields add a lookup for it. If you tell us which version of project we can fill in details if you don't know how to do this.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Friday, July 22, 2011 5:28 AM
  • its project 2010, and while i am able to create a list. but that only allows single selection and not multiple selections via checkbox as in the case of Resources
    Ratish
    Friday, July 22, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Couple more ideas -

Create the Servers as resources and just assign them.  I don;t understand why they might be that different.  Afterall, they are resources, right?

Another option is to use either the Resource Group or the Resource Phonetics columns on the resource sheet to assign your servers.  However, you still are consuming one resource per line on the resource sheet.  I guess you could make the resource name either blank or Server.  Then in either the resource group or the resource phonetics column you would put Server 01, Server 02, etc.  That's pretty poor however, because the server is still a resource.

If you want to truly have a "Servers" sheet that acts like a Resource Sheet and combines with custom columns on th e Gantt or Resource views, bring lots of money to your developer.

As a last choice, you can still use the drop down that Rod suggests and a custom list.  However, you are going to have to list every possible combination of Servers on your drop down:  Assuming three servers, your dropdown would be (assuming you would have to assign 3 servers to one activity):

A, B, C, AA, AB, AC, BC, ABC  This assumes, of course, the order in which the servers are assigned is not important.  In general you will have 2^n possibilities if you have "n" servers.  However, this isn't going to filter nice ... Project has no clue that AB really means A and B.  And entering at A, B doesn't work either because "A, B" is not equal to "A", "B" in the programming world.

I have no reason to believe you can't use Servers as resources just like humans or other material.... you really need to exhaust that scenario with your team why that will not work.

If you feel this post answered the question, please vote for it. I am also available here:
    msprojectblog.com
    Friday, July 22, 2011 11:12 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Whilst I do support your proposed solution, I feel that your "lots of money to the developers" is a little exagerated. A multiple selection list box is standard in VBA - the whole solution shouldn't take more than half a day to write and test. I would personally recommend the VBA route if the "resources" route would not be accepted.

Greetings,

Saturday, July 23, 2011 8:33 AM
  • I agree and perhaps the term "lots of money" can mean many different values to different people.  My poor choice of words, sorry. I was thinking more into the problem such as the user then wanting to group by and create reporting from the new column, determing sever loads and overloading, etc.  In effect, somewhat duplicating the resource sheet and its behaviors.

I hope using the server as an ordinary resource will be useful for him and perhaps the user will post back.

If you feel this post answered the question, please vote for it. I am also available here:
    msprojectblog.com
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 2:16 PM
  • Adding Servers as Resources did not work out for me. had tried it but i needed both Resources and Servers under different columns and Project would not allow that.

for ex: if I created two columns one as Resources and other as Servers.And the task was assigned to Resource A and would be working on Server 1 and 2. The Resource names would be displayed in Server column and vice versa.

at max, i need only 2 servers to be displayed so for now i am using a wild card character as '+'

let me know if i can create two resource pools - one for Resource column and other for Server column. that will work too :)

Ratish
    Monday, July 25, 2011 11:38 PM