none
SharePoint 365 migration from one tenancy to another.

Question

• Hi.

I need to migrate all sites from one tenancy to another so I can close the old tenancy down. What is the preferred method for doing this?

I want to use the scripts from here;

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607895.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

But get the following error after logging on to my online tenancy;

export-spweb : The term 'export-spweb' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable
    program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:1

I assume it is because I am not running it from the front end server as per the site but is there a way to run this or a similar script to export/import a site?

EDIT: Will I be required to back up the mailbox for each site as an Exchange object or is it possible to backup the entire site as a whole?

Thanks.

• Edited by JWinsor Monday, December 12, 2016 2:04 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2016 10:08 AM

All replies

• The cmdlets listed in the article are for SharePoint On-Prem. With SPO, pretty much every normal migration requires the use of 3rd party tools. Same goes for the other workloads, ExO included.

Not sure if any tools cover Site mailboxes though.

Monday, December 12, 2016 7:00 PM
  • Thanks Vasil,

I was hoping that there was equivalent cmdlets for 365 tenancy migrations but if not then I will have to do it the hard way. I have found a couple of tools but emails look to be a sererate issue so I will probably do these manually.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 8:36 AM