Unable to install Updates Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I need some expert advice!  Windows 8.1 unable to install updates.  So far:

Error 800703F9

DISM = Error 1017  SFC = unable to perform, started in safe mode

Troubleshooter ineffective, rename software distribution = access denied

Download most recent SSU, unsuccessful, am trying to avoid refresh and reset

I understand I can't install Windows 10 OS before this problem is resolved, can anyone confirm?  Or will install of Windows 10 fix problem?

Many thanks

• Edited by Sal Witham Thursday, April 25, 2019 11:40 PM
    Thursday, April 25, 2019 11:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Sal Witham.

If you've already tried resetting the Windows Update components (as described here) and the issue is still not fixed, you could try performing an in-place upgrade, which is re-installing Windows on the actual installation: this will restore the operating system files while preserving the installed applications and the stored data; I'd suggest you to try this rather than trying upgrading to Windows 10, because it is not sure that the update will fix the OS files.
    To perform the in-place upgrade, reboot the PC using the Windows 8.1 DVD to start the Windows setup: when prompted, choose the option to perform an upgrade installation and let the setup program work.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Friday, April 26, 2019 4:30 PM
  • You might not be able to rename the software distro folder if the windows update service is running. You need to stop the windows update service and then you should be able to rename folder.

If you still get an access denied message then that might be the underlying issue. You might have to take ownership of the distro folder and then remove it and let windows recreate it.

normally I dont change the name of the distro folder I just go into that folder and remove the contents and then re-run windows update. You will lose the history of updates but that's never really bothered me too much.

Friday, April 26, 2019 5:07 PM