none
Recover Hyper-V Virtual Machine to a different host RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using Azure Backup Server (DPM 12.0.332.0), and attempting to recover a Hyper-V virtual machine to a different host.  I choose the destination host and path, and the recovery completes successfully.  However, the virtual machine does not show up in Hyper-V Manager on the new host.  I can see that the virtual machine's xml file, vhdx, and AutoRecovery.avhdx, are restored to the disk.  There's no indication of errors in the event log.  And DPM simply reports "Virtual machine recovery to alternate host is complete".  Is it necessary to import the VM after recovery?  Is that not automatic?

Thanks for your help,

Dave

Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:20 PM

Answers

• I figured out the problem after discovering the Hyper-V-VMMS Admin event log.  The host I was restoring to had fewer processors than the VM was configured to use, so I received event 14420: "Cannot assign the specified number of processors for the virtual machine".  This was followed by a warning that the virtual machine was being deleted, which is why I never saw it in Hyper-V manager.  This is unfortunate because the problem could otherwise be fixed by adjusting the number of processors in the virtual machine properties.  As it is, I had to restore to a different server with sufficient processors.  (It would also be nice to see a warning in DPM that the restore wasn't successful).
    Friday, August 25, 2017 5:45 PM