Windows Sidebar RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Is there anyway to standardise the gadgets on the sidebar in a corporate environment by either group policy or default profile setup.  I would like to list 3 specific gadgets on the sidebar and I would then restrict access so that the user cannot remove/add/install.  I am able to do the latter via group policy, but how do I set a standard list of gadgets across all profiles.

Cheers
    Monday, January 22, 2007 5:35 AM

All replies

• Looking for the same solution,

This is what I have found....C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar,  in this location there is a Shared Gadgets folder and a Settings.ini file....you can place your gadgets in the Shared gadgets folder and edit the settings.ini file, easy right!, well you receive a permissions error even though your are the Admin, also I get a error when I try to edit those permission, so that where I am stuck......maybe this is the wrong way to go about it, hope you can shead some light on this for me

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 2:18 PM
  • Hi

I have been able to standardise the list of gadgets by editing the settings.ini file and pushing it out via logon/logoff scripts.  Upon their first logon it will copy the settings.ini from my netlogon share which it will do on first logon only.  As users log off it will copy it back to their homedrive share/ or roaming profile which will then allow them to log onto other machines and receive their same sidebar as it is copied back to the local settings.ini when they log back in.

The Local Location of the sidebar is actually under;

\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar and not C:\programfiles....

Cheers

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 10:30 PM
  • Hi I have not been able to change the default set that is in Vista.  I keep getting an administrator request, even though I am the administrator.  This OS is very frustrating!!!!

Can you list out the Logon script that you are using?

Thanks

Paul

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 7:20 PM
  • Hi Paul

I am using Kix;

Below is an example of the  settings.ini being copied from a shared location to the users local profile setting.ini

Copy "\\SERVER\share\settings.ini" "C:\Users\" + @userid +"\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\*.*"

Cheers

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 10:10 PM