none
Extending Long-Term Protection (tape) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

This should hopefully be a simple Q&A.  I'm using local disk for short-term backup - roughly 30 days.  I also have a tape library attached that I use for Long-Term protection. The protection group is configured to keep weekly run tapes for 8 weeks, and the monthly tapes are marked to keep for 3 years.

If I reconfigure the protection group to keep the monthly tapes for 5 years, will it update the time-stamp for any previously writtent monthly tape?

Example:  On May 1, a monthly tape was written w/ a 3 year retention period (as per the protection group).  If I edit the PG to reflect 5 years instead of 3, will that tape on May 1 update with the 5 year retention policy?  Or will it still only reflect 3 years, because that was the policy at the time of the write?

Thanks!

Thursday, May 8, 2014 1:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, by default the monthly tape recovery points should reflect the new recovery retention period.  We introduced a registry setting to prevent that from occurring for customers who do not want the default behavior.

DPM 2012 Sp1 UR2 KB2706783 see Issue 8

Expiry dates for valid datasets that are already written to tape are changed when the retention range is changed during a protection group modification.

For example, a protection group is configured for long-term tape recovery points with custom long-term recovery goals. Recovery Goal 1 has a smaller retention range than other recovery goals. In this configuration, if a protection group is changed to remove Recovery Goal 1 and to keep other recovery goals, the datasets that were created by using Recovery Goal 1 have their retention range changed to the retention range of the other recovery goals.

To work around this problem, create the IsDatasetExpiryDateChangeInModifyPgAllowed DWORD under the following subkey, and then set its value to 0:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration\MediaManager

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 8, 2014 4:32 PM