none
Error booting after fresh install with MDT version 8443 RRS feed

• Question

• I am network booting to a server using an ISO burned to a flash drive. On one particular hardware platform I get a error from Windows Boot Manager saying Windows failed to start followed by how to fix the problem by running a repair and this info:

File: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

Info: The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

It then reboots after a few minutes but always comes back to this screen.

Now, if I hit F12 (Lenovo ThinkCentre M900) for a boot menu I see that there are 2 optins for Windows Boot Manager

SATA 1:  Windows Boot Manager

SATA 1:  Windows Boot Manager

If I let it run on the first option, I get the no boot situation. However if I select the second option, I can successfully boot into new OS. 

Once in the new OS I do a bcdedit /enum firmware I get:

{fwbootmgr}

{GUID} (Not "GUID" but I don't want to type the big long number!)

{bootmgr}

{more GUIDs}

If i delete the GUID from above {bootmgr} (bcdedit /delete {GUID} problem solved.  I don't like that as my solution though.

Here's the strange part. The boot image I am using is from a server that is running MDT v6.3.8443.1000.  If I do the whole process on server (create boot image from and boot to) that is running v6.3.8330.1000 I can successfully install an OS with no extra firmware entry above {bootmgr}.

Is this a bug with 8443? Is there a way to fix it? I feeling like my solution is more of a work around.

• Edited by Chris2061 Thursday, December 15, 2016 7:59 PM clarifications
    Thursday, December 15, 2016 7:54 PM

All replies

• If I create boot media using the LiteTouchPE_x64.iso from the server with the older version of MDT (8330) I can successfully install the OS. So it looks like a bug in the way 8443 generates boot media and then only with this particular hardware platform?? I also have several models of Lenovo laptops that I can successfully install to.
    Thursday, December 15, 2016 8:31 PM