none
Trying to disable Office update notifications in Shared Deployment on RDS server

Question

• Hello, With my shared deployment of Office 2016 on my RDS server my users are getting notifications in Outlook that there are updates available and gives them the option to install which on a heavily used server will hang it up.

I installed the Office ADMX template on my AD server and then set the policy under Updates to Hide.  I then did a gpupdate /force and logged in as a standard user.  The notifications still exist.  I ran gpresult /r from the users desktop and the policy was applied.  I added the correct user groups and server into the secion that the policy be applied to.  Not sure what to do at this point.  Any suggestions would be appreciated

• Edited by ScottFeda Thursday, January 26, 2017 12:42 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 12:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, those settings are set by under the path Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update.

Here is an article below about updates for your reference.

Configure Automatic Updates by Using Group Policy

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720539(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:07 PM
  • Hi,

You can also set the following policy to disabled:

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update\Allow non-administrators to receive update notifications

This should also stop the pop-ups for non-admins.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:20 PM
  •  Hello Jay and Sam.  Thank you for your response.  That setting was already set to "Disable"

Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:50 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for letting me know. I did find a registry change which may help:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2753538/automatic-updating-for-office-2013-and-office-2016-click-to-run-is-not-enabled

1. Locate and then select the following registry key:

Office 2013
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\policies\microsoft\office\15.0\common\OfficeUpdate
      Office 2016
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\policies\microsoft\office\16.0\common\OfficeUpdate
    1. Examine the following registry values under the \OfficeUpdate key:
    • DWORD: HideEnableDisableUpdates
      Values: 
      1 = hide the menu option to enable or disable automatic updates 
      0 = show the menu option to enable or disable automatic updates

Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:58 PM
  • Hi,

Which GPO you provided?

I suggest you try to check the setting in default domain policy.

And I suggest you run gpresult /h gpreport.html with administrator to check if the computer applied the setting. Or you could post the report to us for further research.

Best Regards,

Jay

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 27, 2017 1:43 AM
  • Hello Sam,

I looked at the registry key you provided and it was missing:

• DWORD: EnableAutomaticUpdates
      Values: 
      0 = automatic updates are disabled 
      1 = automatic updates are enabled
    • I addes the DWORD above and set to "0" so they are disabled.

The second part doesn't seem to apply since I don't care id the update option is avaianle in the Office backstageBut I would like it top be removed from the users Outlook.  Right now it it a yellow banner with an UPDATE button.  I have tried using a GP to remove this with the "Hide" 

What I did in the mean time was update the Office shared deployment as an Administrator off hours and it removed the yellow banner from Outlook for now.

Monday, January 30, 2017 1:57 PM
  • Hi Jay,

I'll send some screen shots over when I get a chance.

Scott

Monday, January 30, 2017 1:58 PM
  • Hi Scott,

You could post the gpreport with OneDrive.

Best Regards,

Jay

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 3:26 AM