Vista, complete booting fail RRS feed

• Question

• I accidentally did a windows update, and apparantly my winload.exe was gone .__.
    Everytime I restarted my laptop, it just got stuck at a black screen.

My friend, who works at an IT company, tried fixing it, but only made it worse.
    If it helps, he completely renewed the BCD

It doesn't boot from a cd anymore too =S *I've tried with the f2*
    Startup repair is suddenly gone when I press f8..
    I can't get in any command prompt
    Safety modes freezes at crcdisk.sys
    Every other option when you press f8 results in a fail

Um, my OS is vista and I don't have any other OS installed.
    I'm using a Fujitsu laptop.

So, am I completely screwed? =p
    • Edited by lyveer Friday, June 26, 2009 1:53 AM
    Friday, June 26, 2009 1:49 AM

Answers

• Hello Lyveer,

According to you problem description, I'd like to know whether you could boot from the disk. If not, I suspect that there might be something damage or corrupt with the setup CD and you should first order the replacement one for the continuous troubleshooting. Otherwise, please perform the following instruction to narrow down the issue.

Repair system files

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …" appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next

4. Click Repair your computer

5. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt

7. Navigate to c:\windows\system32\drivers\ and rename pcmcia.sys to pcmcia.old

8. Navigate to: c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\ and rename pcmcia.inf_xxxxxxxx to pcmcia.inf_xxxxxxxxold

9. Type "chkdsk /F C:" (without quotation marks) and click Enter.

10. Restart the computer and have a test.

Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, July 3, 2009 9:37 AM
    Friday, June 26, 2009 5:46 AM

All replies

• Hello Lyveer,

According to you problem description, I'd like to know whether you could boot from the disk. If not, I suspect that there might be something damage or corrupt with the setup CD and you should first order the replacement one for the continuous troubleshooting. Otherwise, please perform the following instruction to narrow down the issue.

Repair system files

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …" appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next

5. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt

7. Navigate to c:\windows\system32\drivers\ and rename pcmcia.sys to pcmcia.old

8. Navigate to: c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\ and rename pcmcia.inf_xxxxxxxx to pcmcia.inf_xxxxxxxxold

9. Type "chkdsk /F C:" (without quotation marks) and click Enter.

10. Restart the computer and have a test.

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, July 3, 2009 9:37 AM
    Friday, June 26, 2009 5:46 AM
  • I've followed all of your instructions, with zero result.

I do, however, discovered what the problem might be.

At one point it just says ''failed to load winload.exe'' and then it gives me the windows path to it.

Just here are the new problems;

Repair system files

Freezes at the chkdsk /F C: part.
    Isn't there a way to re-create winload.exe or copy it?

This doesn't works.
    At a certain point, it says ''C:\ has errors! You must check the disc for errors before continuing''
    Then it gets stuck when I have to ''check'' for errors (with AND without the disc)

It gets stuck and doesn't do anything. It doesn't freeze, but doesn't progress either (with AND without disc)

I've tried the last 2 options by letting my computer run it for hours.

Help appreciated, already thanks a lot!

Edit: This is what happens when I press F8 with each option. It might help!

Safe Mode (all ones) : Freezes at crcdisc.sys
    Enable boot logging : Freezes
    Enable low-resolution video : No point in doing it
    Last known good configuration : Loads Windows until Winload.exe. Black screen freeze
    Directory Services Restore Mode : freezes at ''Checking file system on D:
    The volume is clean.

Checking file syste on \\?\volume{de34d9dc-2472-11dd-9053-806e6f6e6963}
    the volume is clean.

=S
    • Edited by lyveer Monday, June 29, 2009 10:40 AM
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 11:52 PM