none
Laptop Wakes Up Unexpectedly from Sleep and Hibernate RRS feed

• Question

• My "Windows 8.1 with Bing" laptop has been misbehaving. Whether I put the lid down to get it to Sleep, or Win + X -> Shut Down or sign out -> Hibernate, it turns on in the middle of the night, runs its battery down and I've lost all my work :-( Is there any way of stopping this?

I have Norton Internet Security and it is a TOSHIBA SATELLITE C50-B x64 with UEFI, just in case it's the software / firmware / hardware on / of my machine.

And I've already turned off Hybrid Sleep.

It is not my fault if your computer combusts. If this helped, press the /\ arrow over ↖there. If it answers the question, click Propose as Answer ↓there. If you asked the question in the first place, click Mark as answer ↓below.

Monday, October 5, 2015 6:45 PM

Answers

• Hi Wizz,

Thank you for your question.

By this issue, we could refer to the following steps to troubleshoot:

1. Check the task scheduler if there is a task that computer turn off in middle night
    2. For testing, uninstall A/V software
    3. Run “SFC /ScanNow” in CMD
    4. Rebuild Windows profile

Best Regard,

Jim

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 6:01 AM
  • You might also want to consider the power settings for certain devices, particularly your wireless adapter. Check and make sure that in Device ManageràPropertiesàPower Management that Allow This Device to Wake the Computer is unchecked. You should also verify that this is disabled for any other devices you suspect (trackpad, keyboard, wired network adapter, etc.).

Brandon
    Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
    Windows for IT Pros at TechNet

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Wizz,

Thank you for your question.

By this issue, we could refer to the following steps to troubleshoot:

1. Check the task scheduler if there is a task that computer turn off in middle night
    2. For testing, uninstall A/V software
    3. Run “SFC /ScanNow” in CMD
    4. Rebuild Windows profile

Best Regard,

Jim

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 6:01 AM
  • ?!? My wifi has been connected to my router for 7 days solid, according to Windows... That would mean it hasn't been turning off at all; just appearing to!

It is not my fault if your computer combusts. If this helped, press the /\ arrow over ↖there. If it answers the question, click Propose as Answer ↓there. If you asked the question in the first place, click Mark as answer ↓below.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 5:52 PM
  • Hi Wizz,

Did you try to follow my solution to troubleshoot?

In addition, we should focus on task scheduler by the following link:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc721871.aspx 

Best Regard,

Jim

Jim Xu

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 1:24 AM
  • You might also want to consider the power settings for certain devices, particularly your wireless adapter. Check and make sure that in Device ManageràPropertiesàPower Management that Allow This Device to Wake the Computer is unchecked. You should also verify that this is disabled for any other devices you suspect (trackpad, keyboard, wired network adapter, etc.).

Brandon
    Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
    Windows for IT Pros at TechNet

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:20 PM