none
Trouble when promoting to DC in a 2003 domain

Question

• Hi
    Environment:
    a server 2003 R2 DC operating a 2003 domain.
    The 2003 DC holds all FSMO roles, is running ISA server, DNS, DHCP, File server roles.

A freshly installed 2012 r2 machine, which will take over all FSMO roles, DNS, DHCP and file server roles when succesfully promoted.

The issue:
    When attempting to promote the 2012 machine to a DC i get this error

Full log here: pastebin DOT com/XtuT8q1Z

The old DC has no issues when running DCDIAG, remote registry is running and i've also tried a host of other solutions i can't fully remember, with no luck. I'm stumped and i hope any of you have an idea of what to try
    Friday, April 20, 2018 12:13 PM

All replies

• I'd check that 2012 has own address plus 2003 address listed for DNS on connection properties and no others such as router or public DNS

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, April 21, 2018 12:58 PM
  • Thanks for the reply!

the 2012 machine is already configured like that, so this doesn't seem to be the cause of the problem.
    Monday, April 23, 2018 7:34 AM
  • Please run;

Dcdiag /v /c /d /e /s:DCName >c:\dcdiag.log

(please replace DCName with your Domain Controller NetBIOS name)

ipconfig /all > C:\dc1.txt

ipconfig /all > C:\dc2.txt

then put files up on OneDrive and share a link.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, April 23, 2018 12:53 PM
  • logs:
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!At0_g4tc3JwMgVkhuJwTKHTXyvC_
    Tuesday, April 24, 2018 7:46 AM
  • 2003 appears to be multi-homed. RRAS role? This would cause no end to confusion for active directory DNS

2012 has router address listed for DNS which is going to be problematic.

I'd disable the second adapter on 2003, and set its own static address listed for DNS. Also set the addresses of 2012 in same space as 2003

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 12:24 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 27, 2018 7:59 AM
  • Hi
    Excuse the lack of replying, i was laid low by a bug on this site refusing to log me in. and by other more critical tasks.
    Anyways, 2003 has RRAS since it currently acts as a go-between the router and the LAN. Which is one of the reasons we are scrapping the old server setup. This is also why the 2012 DC points to "router" IP, and why 2003 has two adapters, one outwards and one inwards.
    It's all a bit mystical.

I cannot really disable any of the adapters without a new setup ready to go on the spot, and as far as i can tell on the old 2003 server, RRAS plays some critical role in this setup.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? maybe it'd be possible to unplug the 2003 dc from outwards, disable RRAS and try again?
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:33 AM
  • I fixed DNS settings and removed the RRAS role (it wasn't in use anyway). Nothing changed, same error and same logs. I cannot test with the other adapter off, since internet access is crucial for other users today and they musn't be disrupted.
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 10:51 AM
  • I fixed DNS settings and removed the RRAS role 

Please put up a new set of files.

Thursday, May 3, 2018 12:02 PM
  • Right. These are with the external NIC disabled. https://1drv.ms/f/s!At0_g4tc3JwMgV0Mi1Rvep6RhLNG
    Friday, May 4, 2018 7:41 AM
  • On DC2003 you should add 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.7 for DNS on connection properties.

On DC2012 you should add 192.168.0.7 for DNS on connection properties

Also what problems are there presently?

Friday, May 4, 2018 12:47 PM
  • Using these DNS settings causes DC2012 to not recognise DC2003 as Domain controller. As such, the DC promotion gui won't work.
    Instead i tried it like this:

DC2003 primary dns: 192.168.0.1 secondary: 192.168.0.7
    DC2012 primary dns: 192.168.0.7 secondary 192.168.0.1

This way i atleast could go through most of the promotion wizard, to hit the same exact error as it appears in the ADPREP.log included in onedrive.

Monday, May 7, 2018 7:46 AM
  • I'd try building a new one, patch it fully and try again.

Monday, May 7, 2018 12:33 PM
  • I've already tried several times. same issues.
    I suspect DC2003 is severely screwed up, but i can't really do much to fix it.

My final strategy is to try and promote a 2008 DC as a stepladder of sorts.
    I read a few forums discussing issues with going from 2003 to 2012. Wish me luck i guess

If this fails just as miserably, i'm just going to rebuild the domain from the ground up. might fix a few things and it's not too big
    • Edited by Potiocell Monday, May 14, 2018 7:09 AM
    Monday, May 14, 2018 7:07 AM