Black screen with cursor. RRS feed

• Question

• recently my vista laptop checked chkdsk on boot and there were a lot of changes made that worried me.. once the process was finished the log on screen came up, i put in my password and then i was horrified to find the screen go black with only the cursor in the middle (which you could move). i pressed CTRL + ALT + DELETE and pressed on task manager but the task manager would not show up..

iv tried system recovery, and repair but nothing! nothing seems to work. i no longer have the reformat disk =/.
    can anyone help me..

Sunday, January 23, 2011 8:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First of all, make sure the system is clean by booting into Safe Mode and run your antivirus software and perform a full disk scan.

Meanwhile, tell us if the issuer persists when booting into Safe Mode.

Start your computer in safe mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

If behavior doesn’t persist in safe mode, it indicates that a third party program or service is preventing you from performing the action as supposed to.

To validate or determine which service/startup item could be causing this, restart the computer and boot to desktop normally. Once done, perform clean boot.

Clean Boot prevents software conflicts by preventing the startup items and non Microsoft services from loading. This way you can safely follow the process of elimination to check which application is causing this behavior.

Refer:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Ensure that you put your computer back to normal startup mode after completing the troubleshooting steps. Steps are available in the article given above.

In addition, obtain the latest device driver from the computer manufacture's download website, expecially your display card driver.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 10:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First of all, make sure the system is clean by booting into Safe Mode and run your antivirus software and perform a full disk scan.

Meanwhile, tell us if the issuer persists when booting into Safe Mode.

Start your computer in safe mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

If behavior doesn’t persist in safe mode, it indicates that a third party program or service is preventing you from performing the action as supposed to.

To validate or determine which service/startup item could be causing this, restart the computer and boot to desktop normally. Once done, perform clean boot.

Clean Boot prevents software conflicts by preventing the startup items and non Microsoft services from loading. This way you can safely follow the process of elimination to check which application is causing this behavior.

Refer:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Ensure that you put your computer back to normal startup mode after completing the troubleshooting steps. Steps are available in the article given above.

In addition, obtain the latest device driver from the computer manufacture's download website, expecially your display card driver.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 10:01 AM
  • >> If behavior doesn’t persist in safe mode, it indicates that a third party program or service is preventing you from performing the action as supposed to.

So what is the solution if the behavior _does_ persist in safe mode?  My machine will not get past the black screen with cursor after login in normal or safe mode.

It won't shut down either without just unplugging it or holding the power button down.

Saturday, February 5, 2011 2:50 AM
  • Please understand in Safe Mode, the system load minimum driver that is necessary for Windows to run. If the issue persists in Safe Mode, it indicates faulty hardware on the display card, RAM, motherboard or BIOS.

Regards,

Monday, February 7, 2011 6:18 AM