none
Conditional Column removing in Power Query RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

The API response is showing a field that appears only in certain conditions. This happens on server side so i do not have any way to mute this field. As such, i'd like Power Query to delete/mute this column if it appears inside the API response. This will resolve errors and tweaks inside the query each time i'm updating it.

is there a way to achieve conditional column removing in Power Query ? Ex : If Column "X" appears then Remove Column "X" else nothing happens.

Thank you

Best,

David

Friday, September 30, 2016 9:03 AM

Answers

• Hi David. Select the columns you care about, then use "Remove Other Columns". That way the extra column will be excluded if/when it appears.

If for some reason there are other columns that can conditionally appear and you don't want those to be excluded, you can remove just a single conditional column using the following M:

= if Table.HasColumns(PreviousStepName, "ColumnToRemove") then Table.RemoveColumns(PreviousStepName, "ColumnToRemove") else PreviousStepName

Ehren

Friday, September 30, 2016 5:46 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi David. Select the columns you care about, then use "Remove Other Columns". That way the extra column will be excluded if/when it appears.

If for some reason there are other columns that can conditionally appear and you don't want those to be excluded, you can remove just a single conditional column using the following M:

= if Table.HasColumns(PreviousStepName, "ColumnToRemove") then Table.RemoveColumns(PreviousStepName, "ColumnToRemove") else PreviousStepName

Ehren

Friday, September 30, 2016 5:46 PM
    Owner
  • Thank you Ehren !

You rock :-)

Best,

David

Saturday, October 1, 2016 7:14 AM