Considerations when using a non-standard drive (not Q:\) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I've searched but didn't find a match for this question.

We are introducing App-V at a large company and the company already has Q drive assigned to business applications and many hard-coded paths are reference a server mapped as Q. So to use Q for App-V we would need to spend months migrating the existing systems to another letter.

We started our tests using B.

Now we find that AdminStudio with Virtualisation Pack cannot sequence to anything other than Q. We wanted to use this tool to create sequences. Naturally most of the community and scripts etc assume Q but we can edit those to another letter.

Question: what (other) downsides are there to using a non-standard drive letter ?

Thanks so much for any advice.

Regards
    Friday, December 16, 2011 10:55 AM

Answers

• The drive is variablized, I've worked on projects that used other letters without problems. The only issues I've ever had was when an app wanted to be sequenced to C:\ but that's no problem. You can sequence to C:\ for those exceptional apps.

I have used the Automatic Application Converter more than the Virtualization Pack but I find it strange you cannot change it. I'll check my own and get back to you, there's a settings.xml file for AAC which allows you to set a drive

Blog: www.rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon
    Friday, December 16, 2011 11:25 AM

All replies

• The drive is variablized, I've worked on projects that used other letters without problems. The only issues I've ever had was when an app wanted to be sequenced to C:\ but that's no problem. You can sequence to C:\ for those exceptional apps.

I have used the Automatic Application Converter more than the Virtualization Pack but I find it strange you cannot change it. I'll check my own and get back to you, there's a settings.xml file for AAC which allows you to set a drive

Friday, December 16, 2011 11:25 AM
  • You can use what ever drive letter you have available, there are many implementation using B. Issues will arise with hard coded paths inside files like XML and INI files that the Sequencer cannot change to variables like it can with the Registry.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, December 16, 2011 11:54 AM
  • I can't go playing around with my settings at the moment because it's on a server that people are using but I see a setting in Settings.xml for APPVRUNTIMEDRIVE. Maybe give that a try. I better not answer anymore about AdminStudio on here as it's a little bit off topic for the forums ??
    Friday, December 16, 2011 12:05 PM
  • One other suggestion is be cautious of using the like of F:, G: etc. As I have heard but not seen this to be true myself that it would cause issues on the client machine if a user tries to use a USB key, External Hard Drive etc.

Have previously used V:, R: and N:

Friday, December 16, 2011 12:14 PM
  • Hi Rory, thanks for your insight. I could have added in the opener that a sequencer here has spent weeks with a Flexera support engineer without solution. I understand it is a limitation in the current version of their product.

Friday, December 16, 2011 1:02 PM
  • Thank you Aaron.

"Issues will arise with hard coded paths inside files like XML and INI files"

I'm still learning App-V but wouldn't those same potential issues arise when using the regular Q?

My concern is whether some tools or App-V processes might not work (optimally) when using B, or anything other than the default Q ?

If the experts see no problem (aside from the AdminStudio problem) then we will likely stay with B and have to live without AdminStudio.

Friday, December 16, 2011 1:06 PM