none
Project Comparison with MS Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to Everyone!

I'm working with MS Project 2010, and I'm trying to compare two different versions of the same project using the built in Compare Projects tool available in Menu -Project TAB -Reports.

The problem I have is, though I can finish the report the software only shows me the comparison table, doesn't show me the gantt chart; actually the gantt chart is empty and the timeline is automatically generated with the duration of 1 day.

I Don't know what to do solve this problem or maybe is a software bug.

I'll really appreciate if somebody can share any idea to solve this issue.

Thanks

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Itracanelli,

Before thinking to a bug, just ensure some basics:

• check that the separation bar is not pushed to the most right of your window
    • note that the report is an additionnal windows that can be maximize. When it is generated maybe the right part (gantt chart) is simply not visible and you just need to maximize it as per my screenshot below.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:13 PM
  • I am unable to reproduce your error.  The comparison bars are drawn for Start 9/Finish9 and Start10/Finish10.  Were you using those fields for other purposes?

Add those fields to the table - do they have data?  Please also ensure you have the latest service pack installed (SP-2).

Right click over the comparison project Gantt chart and select Bar Styles and check the bar definition for Task:Previous and Task: Current.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 3:43 PM
  • Hi Gillaume, thanks for helping me in this Issue.

Actually that's not the problem. I can see the gantt chart but no the gatt bars, only display the gantt bars with the summary tasks but with one day duration, this day is the comparison report day.

I'm thinking that maybe is a problem with the O/S, I'm running the MS Project in a PC with Windows XP.

What do you think?

Thanks

Monday, January 27, 2014 9:04 PM
  • Do you have SP-2 installed to Project 2010? 
    Monday, January 27, 2014 9:31 PM
  • Thanks for helping me.

In my case the comparison dates are shown in fields (TEXT 4, 5, 7, 8) and the Start/Finish fields 9 & 10 are empty, in each file. But they appears in the Comparison Report

In the comparison project Gantt chart it are not defined Task:Previous and Task: Current.

At the end I added the definitions of the bars, Task:Previous and Task: Current, to the Bar Stile Dialog box and everything appears

I don't know why I have this problem, maybe is because I'm using MS project 2010 in Windows XP Platform?

Thanks for your help, finally I can have graphically my comparison report!

Monday, January 27, 2014 9:52 PM
  • I'll ask again - do you have SP-2 installed to Project 2010?  That would be a first step to ensure that you have the most recent updates.  Did you also install Project 2010 on top of an earlier installation of Project (2007?, 2003?)
    Monday, January 27, 2014 10:29 PM
  • Yes I have installed MS Project 2010 SP-2, and I don't know if this computer had installed a previous version of MS project.

When I go to add or remove software in the control panel, there is no trace of a previous installation

Thanks

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:46 PM
  • Hmm.  That is odd.  Does the issue happen with all compared projects or only this specific one?  It sounds as though you re-created the bars for the comparison project but it is odd that it is not working as expected.

I'm guessing you are using a custom table as you note the comparison dates are in Text fields.  Does it work as expected using the default Entry table?

You may wish to create a new view from your modified Gantt chart (in the compared project) and then copy that view back to Global.  You could then apply that view quickly to a new comparison project.

I hope this helps.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:06 PM
  • Also - I have moved your question to the forum for Project Pro and Standard - out of the Project Online forum.
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:08 PM
  • Hi Julie,

Thanks again for your help.

The issue happens with every project I try to compare.

Do you now where can I find a template with the default Bar Stiles, so I can copy them again to my global.mpt file. Maybe this is the problem, maybe I or somebody else delete the Stiles. But is also weird that I uninstall and re-install the ms project and the problem remain the same

I created a new comparison table, but I also used the entry table, and the problem is the same. 

Thanks again for your help.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 2:03 PM
  • Uninstalling and re-installing won't fix issues with Global.mpt.

If you have already created the view, I'd just copy that view to your Global.mpt file.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 5:54 PM