Task Sequence fails after Apply Operating System step RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I'm trying to trouble-shoot a failing task sequence and can use some help. The computer boots into WinPE from the flash drive, and I can initiate the correct Task Sequence. The disk is partitioned, the Operating System is applied, and Windows Settings are applied, but after that, none of the other steps are ran.

The next step in the Task Sequence is "Apply Network Settings", and this should join the computer to the correct domain, but once the Windows 7 install procedure/applying Operating System is finished, the computer hasn't joined the domain.  So this step is not running.

I can login with admin credentials that were specified in the "Apply Windows Settings" step, and the product key gets applied, but that is it. 

Are there some logs that I can look at to see what is happening? I think my WinPE boot image has the correct network drivers, but do I need to add them to my base WIM image?

Friday, May 31, 2013 2:27 PM

Answers

• Actually, The Apply Network Settings task does not join the domain; it populates the unattend.xml file in use which is used by Windows setup during the Setup Windows and ConfigMgr task.Same with Apply Windows Settings: it is just populating the unattend.xml file.

Thus it is up to Windows setup to perform the domain join; to troubleshoot this, you need to check the netsetup.log on the target system.

Yes to your last question: drivers in the boot image only enable network connectivity during the initial WinPE portion of the TS. You must also add those drivers to the deployed OS using one of the two driver tasks (which also don't actually install the drivers but instead just copy them to the target system and make them available to Windows setup to actually install). You should *not* add them to your base image though -- your base image should be lean and clean of anything hardware specific.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Thursday, February 12, 2015 11:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, November 14, 2015 4:36 PM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 6:33 PM

All replies

• How about smsts.log on the client. The Location of the log file depends on what Point a TS is failing:

- Windows PE before HDD format: x:\windows\temp\smstslog\smsts.log
    - Windows PE after HDD format: x:\smstslog\smsts.log and copied to c:\_SMSTaskSequence\Logs\Smstslog\smsts.log
    - Full version Windows before <acronym title="System Center Configuration Manager">SCCM</acronym> agent installed: c:\_SMSTaskSequence\Logs\Smstslog\smsts.log
    - Full version Windows after <acronym title="System Center Configuration Manager">SCCM</acronym> agent installed: c:\windows\ccm\logs\Smstslog\smsts.log
    - Full version Windows (x64) after <acronym title="System Center Configuration Manager">SCCM</acronym> agent installed: c:\windows\sysWOW64\ccm\logs\Smstslog\smsts.log
    - After Task Sequence has finished running: c:\windows\ccm\logs\smsts.log
    - After Task Sequence has finished running (x64): c:\windows\sysWOW64\ccm\logs\smsts.log

• Edited by dekac99 Friday, May 31, 2013 2:43 PM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 2:37 PM
  • Actually, The Apply Network Settings task does not join the domain; it populates the unattend.xml file in use which is used by Windows setup during the Setup Windows and ConfigMgr task.Same with Apply Windows Settings: it is just populating the unattend.xml file.

Thus it is up to Windows setup to perform the domain join; to troubleshoot this, you need to check the netsetup.log on the target system.

Yes to your last question: drivers in the boot image only enable network connectivity during the initial WinPE portion of the TS. You must also add those drivers to the deployed OS using one of the two driver tasks (which also don't actually install the drivers but instead just copy them to the target system and make them available to Windows setup to actually install). You should *not* add them to your base image though -- your base image should be lean and clean of anything hardware specific.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Thursday, February 12, 2015 11:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, November 14, 2015 4:36 PM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 6:33 PM
  • Thanks for the details! I think I see what you are saying -- This is a freshly migrated SCCM 2012 box and my drivers have not been updated/verified. I'll check there.
    Monday, June 3, 2013 12:23 PM