none
IE 9 cannot display the webpage, but Firefox can. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All -

Today, when i started my laptop and launched IE 9....as I do every day....I discover that I cannot connect to any webpage.  I am connected to the internet and when I browse with Firefox...I can get to any webpage.  I have tried various things - Restored the Advanced Settings, Reset, reboot....short of uninstalling IE and then re-installing it....is there something else I can try?

Thanks for any help.

- will
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 4:47 AM

Answers

• Finally figured out the problem.  Internet Explorer.  I should have realized it sooner, especially after three days without anybody being able to help solve this issue.  I uninstalled IE9, IE8, etc....reinstalled them all....rebooted...etc....etc.  I finally came to my senses.  Internet Explorer just doesn't work.  Firefox does.  So, the choice is easy.  And now, a lot of web sites that always seem to perform badly or slow are now working great in Firefox. 

So, to all of you people having problems with IE, I recommend you dump it and get Firefox. 

- will
    • Marked as answer by wdww Saturday, November 5, 2011 4:13 AM
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 4:13 AM

All replies

• Finally figured out the problem.  Internet Explorer.  I should have realized it sooner, especially after three days without anybody being able to help solve this issue.  I uninstalled IE9, IE8, etc....reinstalled them all....rebooted...etc....etc.  I finally came to my senses.  Internet Explorer just doesn't work.  Firefox does.  So, the choice is easy.  And now, a lot of web sites that always seem to perform badly or slow are now working great in Firefox. 

So, to all of you people having problems with IE, I recommend you dump it and get Firefox. 

- will
    • Marked as answer by wdww Saturday, November 5, 2011 4:13 AM
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 4:13 AM
  • is there something else I can try?

You didn't mention your firewall.   That is a frequent cause of an "any webpage" symptom.

---

Sunday, November 6, 2011 9:35 PM
    Answerer
  • Sorry, that wasn't a problem at all.  I did check the firewall.

- will
    Monday, November 7, 2011 2:18 AM
  • I did check the firewall.

Can you tell us how you did that?   For which firewall product?   Every time I have asked people about diagnostics to demonstrate the proposition it seems there are none.   It's like a firewall can block without the user being aware that it is happening.   Yet when the firewall product is removed--not just disabled--the problem symptom goes away.   The conclusion is that the firewall blocks by version information and if not updated to "approve" the new version it blocks that *silently* as a suspected Trojan.

Robert
    ---

Monday, November 7, 2011 6:26 AM
    Answerer
  • Same problems and I also went to Foxfire. I think MS kept messing around with IE until the have over loaded it. Like Face Book they can not leave any thing alone. Netflix has had problem for a long time on IE. Netflix blames MS and MS blames Netflix. Netflix runs on all the other browsers.

Monday, November 7, 2011 3:47 PM