Your client does not support opening this list with windows explorer - related to multiple uploads? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks -

I've read through some threads regarding "Your client does not support opening this list with windows explorer" and it seems a lot of folks have a lot of solutions throughout the forum posts.  Is there anything official or semi-official regarding this? 

I've tried a lot of the fixes including:

• checking to see if the WebClient service is on
    • modifying so-and-so registry (I've since changed them back since they seem to have no effect)
    • and changing various settings in Internet Options including making sure the site is in the Local intranet zone.

I could live without this functionality but just recently my upload-multiple-files functionality in SharePoint 2010 has also gone away (red x instead of directory UI).  I wonder if it's related somehow and could give us a clue.

If it helps I'm using various browsers but of the IE flavor 8 and 9 32-bit as the base for testing this.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:18 PM

Answers

• As a side-note to other folks experiencing this issue and you're in a Picture Library, here's another work-around if you're just looking to upload multiple items:

The Upload Multiple Pictures function uses Microsoft Office Picture Manager and that still works even while the Windows Explorer piece does not.

Friday, February 22, 2013 3:29 PM

All replies

• Hi USP45,

Did the SharePoint 2010 library explorer view work before?

Did all PCs have this issue?

Here is an article with a check list for troubleshooting the SharePoint explorer view issues, you can check if it could help.

http://expectedexception.wordpress.com/2012/02/06/sharepoint-open-with-windows-explorer-problems/

Thanks

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 22, 2013 9:48 AM
  • I'm fairly certain this is a configuration setting on the client and not a server issue because:

• We are successful at making this work using a VM with a similar OS install (Windows 7 64) attaching to the same site without any changes on the server.
    • In addition - this functionality used to work on this client machine and now no longer does so I'm trying to track down what may have changed.

Thanks for the troubleshooting steps above; I have a question about #5 (WebDav) - this is regarding the server yes?  If so I think we can ignore because like I said, the server setup works for other machines to connect.

That last tip about using Fiddler is a good tip (and not one I've seen on other threads concerning this issue).  With fiddler open, I saw NO activity at all when clicking "Open with Windows Explorer" so that is a good clue!

I'm unsure about the telnet tip.  Will try it on the VM later and see if indeed those ports have anything to do with this issue.

Friday, February 22, 2013 2:13 PM
  • As a side-note to other folks experiencing this issue and you're in a Picture Library, here's another work-around if you're just looking to upload multiple items:

The Upload Multiple Pictures function uses Microsoft Office Picture Manager and that still works even while the Windows Explorer piece does not.

Friday, February 22, 2013 3:29 PM
  • For SharePoint 2013 (so could apply to 2010 as well), my problem was that I was trying to "Open with Explorer" something that probably can't be opened with Explorer. In my case, I just wanted to open my team's Shared Documents with Explorer. I found that when I first log into SharePoint and view the page, I'm presented with those Shared Documents, but also other things as well.

To get "Open with Explorer" to work, I must click "Shared Documents" under the Libraries heading on the left. Then, all the other stuff (Links, Getting Started, etc.) go away and I'm focused on my team's shared documents. From there, I can go up to the Library Tools section in the ribbon, choose the Library tab in the ribbon, and click Open with Explorer.

Works like a champ on Windows 7 64-bit, running IE 9 32-bit.

• Proposed as answer by sac86738 Monday, October 6, 2014 11:19 PM
    Monday, October 6, 2014 11:19 PM
  • For SharePoint 2013 (so could apply to 2010 as well), my problem was that I was trying to "Open with Explorer" something that probably can't be opened with Explorer. In my case, I just wanted to open my team's Shared Documents with Explorer. I found that when I first log into SharePoint and view the page, I'm presented with those Shared Documents, but also other things as well.

To get "Open with Explorer" to work, I must click "Shared Documents" under the Libraries heading on the left. Then, all the other stuff (Links, Getting Started, etc.) go away and I'm focused on my team's shared documents. From there, I can go up to the Library Tools section in the ribbon, choose the Library tab in the ribbon, and click Open with Explorer.

Works like a champ on Windows 7 64-bit, running IE 9 32-bit.

Unfortunately that's not what was going on in my case.  One obvious way to check is to see if other people or other computers can Open with Explorer.  In my case it was just this one machine on my desk that had the issue.
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 4:02 PM