Users Cannot upload .xsn files to SharePoint 2010 Doc. library RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a few users that would like to upload their InfoPath .xsn template files to a SharePoint 2010 doc library.  When they do, they receive an access denied error.  They have the correct permissions to the library and can upload any other type of office files to same library.  Also, the .xsn file type is not listed as a restricted file type and I as site admin can upload the .xsn files no problem.  We did not encounter this issue with MOSS, only since we upgraded.

What is the best practice way of making InfoPath form templates available for people to use from SharePoint?  Should the template files be uploaded to document libraries or should they be published and if published, how then do you make them available in a doc. library along with Word, Excel PDF etc. files?

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:16 PM

Answers

• THat's not how InfoPath works.  You don't upload form templates and let people use them.  InfoPath is a REAL form tool unlike Excel and Word.  Those other pseudo-forms are just documents that people can open and save as a different name.  InfoPath is completely different, because there are 2 completely separate files: the XSN template and the XML data file.  You never want your users to be able to access form templates the way you have described.  Each InfoPath form should be published to its own form library for direct integration and proper use.  You can publish multiple InfoPath forms to one library if it makes sense in your situation, but then you need to publish them as content types.

"I publish the templates, how do I make them appear in the library along with all the other types of docs"

You don't.  That's the whole point.  THis is not the correct use of InfoPath.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by Jambou9182 Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:11 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:02 PM

All replies

• The best practice is to publish the form template.  YOu don't "upload" form templates...that's not how they are used in SharePoint.  These users should not be uploading templates ANYWHERE that any user can see.  Instead, the form templates should be published directly to the form library where forms are to be submitted or as a content type.  I still save all of my templates in a doc lib with versioning turned on, but I don't make that location visible to any regular users.

Why do you need to make them available in a doc lib in addition to publishing?  There is no special thing you need to do.  I save my form templates into doc libs for document management purposes all the time, and there is no specific setting.  If you raise their permissions, what happens?

Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:35 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.  We have a "Forms" doc lib on our Intranet site that contains some Word, Excel, PDF docs as well as 30-40 InfoPath form templates, they are listed alphabetically.  People go to that doc lib to access all forms.  If I publish the templates, how do I make them appear in the library along with all the other types of docs?  When I publish to the library they can be accessed through "new" drop down button, but I want them to appear in the library with the rest, that's why I've been uploading the templates.

As far as saving the form templates in the doc lib, if I raise their permissions, it makes no difference, same error.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:23 PM
  • THat's not how InfoPath works.  You don't upload form templates and let people use them.  InfoPath is a REAL form tool unlike Excel and Word.  Those other pseudo-forms are just documents that people can open and save as a different name.  InfoPath is completely different, because there are 2 completely separate files: the XSN template and the XML data file.  You never want your users to be able to access form templates the way you have described.  Each InfoPath form should be published to its own form library for direct integration and proper use.  You can publish multiple InfoPath forms to one library if it makes sense in your situation, but then you need to publish them as content types.

"I publish the templates, how do I make them appear in the library along with all the other types of docs"

You don't.  That's the whole point.  THis is not the correct use of InfoPath.

• Marked as answer by Jambou9182 Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:11 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:02 PM
  • Ok, I understand how this works now.  I will publish the forms to the doc lib as content types and the error when uploading the templates is no longer and issue.

Thanks for you help.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:11 PM
  • I was able to upload the XSN files to a Document Library and then with a tool I was able to MOVE them over to the Forms Library, but I agree, it should be used correctly!

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 12:22 PM